Mrs V's used and abused bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mrs V's Boardman race had been used every week day all weathers since she bought it for commuting to work with very limited maintenence it was really scruffy and tired (although always in constant use) .. A recent office location change (location not job) means her office is now within walking distance...

She wanted to keep a bike for general use and was debating ditching the Boardman and getting a new BSO.. For the hundred odd quid the Boardman needed spending on it.. I convinced her that it was a far better bike than she would ever buy again.. She agreed I gave it a massive clean and t cutting... And bike shop did a major overall chain, bearings, bottom bracket, bar tape, 2 new tyres, seat.. Its looking fab again.. Bit of a time warp back to how it looked 5 years ago when she bought it... Apart from a few sheffield stand war wounds.

Definitely the right decision even if the bill was a bit north of the 100 quid originally anticipated by me (bb unexpected and the new seat added on a whim by me on collection)

The bar tape was originally yellow but changed to blue after an off and yellow wasn't in stock at that time.. So back to original yellow

Attachments

• IMG_20190306_121500.jpg
    IMG_20190306_121500.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20190306_121505.jpg
    IMG_20190306_121505.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Mrs V's Boardman race had been used every week day all weathers since she bought it for commuting to work with very limited maintenence it was really scruffy and tired (although always in constant use) .. A recent office location range (location not job) means her office is now within walking distance...

She wanted to keep a bike for general use and was debating ditching the Boardman and getting a new BSO.. For the hundred odd quid the Boardman needed spending on it.. I convinced her that it was a far better bike than she would ever buy again.. She agreed I gave it a massive clean and t cutting... And bike shop did a major overall chain, bearings, bottom bracket, bar tape, 2 new tyres, seat.. Its looking fab again.. Bit of a time warp back to how it looked 5 years ago when she bought it... Apart from a few sheffield stand war wounds.

Definitely the right decision even if the bill was a bit north of the 100 quid originally anticipated by me (bb unexpected and the new seat added on a whim by me on collection)

The bar tape was originally yellow but changed to blue after an off and yellow wasn't in stock at that time.. So back to original yellow
I like the yellow bar tape. It really sets the bike off.

OP
OP
simon the viking
A good add on (as well the restoration to factory standard yellow ow bar tape) is the ladies specific Liv seat.. The bike is a small gents.. So she had been mentioning about changing the seat. As it was tatty anyway i took the initiative and got it done when i picked it up.

I forgot to say in original post, she absolutely loves it again.. Riding it had become a bit of a chore.. Old chain, stiff cables and general clunks and rattles..

Its not a new bike but as near mechanically as you can get without changing groupsets and wheels etc

Serious brownie points to me for arranging its resurrection..

Last edited:
for the cost of that service, you would have struggled to get a bike half as good and probably to as good fit so money well spent in my opinion.

if you only spend that amount every 5 years, it makes the bike look like a bargain.

OP
OP
simon the viking
for the cost of that service, you would have struggled to get a bike half as good and probably to as good fit so money well spent in my opinion.

if you only spend that amount every 5 years, it makes the bike look like a bargain.

Definitely.. Her budget when she bought it was around 250 she stretched it to 350 to buy this hardly used trade in at lbs where its just been serviced. The cost to original purchaser was around 600... So would never get replaced with anything half as good

KneesUp

Guru
Definitely.. Her budget when she bought it was around 250 she stretched it to 350 to buy this hardly used trade in at lbs where its just been serviced. The cost to original purchaser was around 600... So would never get replaced with anything half as good
Sssh - people will catch on that the basic design of the bike hasn't changed much at all since the safety bike was invented. My bike (well, the frame, forks and seatpost) are 30 years old, and someone paid the equivalent of over £1,000 for it in 1989. I paid £31 for it.
EDIT - the front derailleur is original too - just remembered.

Last edited:
Top Bottom