MTB build for MrsBssll

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Time to clean up the frame! I got the degreaser out and readied the heat gun to heat up the stickers and protective tape for removal then got to work... It came up quite nicely!

There are still some big chunks of paint missing but I'm not sure what to do with those bits now - the paint is slightly pearlescent now its clean so I'm unlikely to be able to match it to touch in the chips. Current plan is to build it up without any cosmetic work and let MrsBssll ride it around for a while, then strip and paint it at a later date if she so wishes :smile:

You may have noticed the shock is fitted - the frame came with no fittings at all for the shock so I had to measure up and order some custom bits from offsetbushings.com. They fit a treat! Unfortunately they were unable to provide bolts so I did some more measuring and investigations and discovered the lower bolt is almost identical to those used on the Vitus Mystique shock mounts, so ordered a bolt kit from CRC for £2 and it fit perfectly :becool: I couldn't find an upper bolt so I've ordered a selection of high tensile M8 bolts and will work out which one fits best, I might have to cut one down but we'll get there eventually. Until then I've popped a random M8 bolt through to hold the shock in place while I mess around fitting bits :okay:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
With the frame clean and the shock mounted (albeit temporarily) I decided to test fit some more bits. First I wanted to try and salvage the seized jockey wheel so whipped it off the mech and had a look under the metal dust caps. I was quite surprised to find a sealed cartridge bearing under lots of solid black gunk - goes some what to explain why these mechs are over a hundred quid new I guess! I was able to carefully pop the seals off either side with a craft knife then scoop most of the crud out before flushing it through with degreaser. Once it was clean I worked it back and forth until it was spinning freely again then repacked it with grease and refitted :okay:

With the mech in place I decided to pop the cassette and disc on the rear wheel and fit that too...

Why stop there? Despite not having the headset yet I figured I ought to pop the forks in and mount the front wheel too...

Despite having SRAM running gear I decided to go Shimano for the brakes. SRAM brakes seem to have issues and I couldn't find any Hope's at a reasonable second hand price. I found a full set of Shimano XT levers and calipers in good condition on eBay and they arrived this morning so I offered them up to check they would fit. All seems fine so far!

Next item to source will be the bottom bracket. I offered up the NX crank arm this evening, I think I'm going to go for the shortest axle variant as it would seem to suit the chainline. Worst case I'll have to send it back and order another :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Popped in to the garage after work as the headset arrived this morning... It went in nice and easily so I've built the front end up...

I've given the front caliper a bit of a clean and fitted new pads, I'll do the same with the rear another day...

While I was cabling up the rear mech the bottom bracket arrived so I was able to test fit the cranks and pedals too 😄

I found a seat post in my odds'n'sods cupboard which fits nicely so thats a result... I've got a chain and front chain guide arriving tomorrow, otherwise I'm waiting on the replacement rims which are due Monday and a saddle which I haven't ordered yet :laugh: Spokes and red nipples arrived today 😄 Quick progress with this one, hopefully it'll be ready for a test ride next weekend :okay:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
The frame arrived this morning, as did the rear shock :okay: Both are in better condition than I'd hoped so that's a great start :laugh: The frame has several chips and scrapes but less than I'd expect on a 12yr old mtb frame, and the rear shock looks almost brand new 😊

The shock was advertised as recently serviced so if it works ok when it's bolted together that will have been a real steal - they retail at ~£500 new and I paid £140 for it :okay:

View attachment 628554

Back to the frame - the linkage bearings feel smooth with no detectable play, another good start as it seems spares for these are hard to come by :laugh: I've just ordered some shock mount bush kits but still need to locate some suitable mounting bolts. I've signed up to a boardman owners group on facebook and am hoping someone can give me some specs so I can order something similar to the originals 😊 As I mentioned before there are some scuffs and chips but nothing too horrid, I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like once the old yellowing tape has been removed and the paint cleaned up a bit 😊 MrsBssll seems keen to keep it white so I might look into finding a close match to touch in the chips.

View attachment 628556

View attachment 628558
View attachment 628557

I won a SRAM GX mech on eBay last night for £26, listed as spares or repair so I'll try and fix that and get it working again when it arrives. I found a new SRAM 11-42 cassette and NX 1x11 chainset too so they've both been snapped up :laugh: I need to work out what length BB axle I need - it's a 68mm shell and the cranks need a Truvativ PowerSpline BB but they come in 108, 113 and 118mm axle lengths so need to get that right 😄

Anyway, I'll update as and when more bits arrive or I get a chance to strip the frame down a bit to clean and inspect :okay:

Reminded me I have a fox rear shock to sell.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
SRAM jockeys are well known to seize. The dust caps trap crud between the cartridge seals and the cap, sometimes melting the seal.

Moved to BBB jockeys as they don't trap the dirt.

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
The replacement rims arrived unexpectedly today so I cancelled my prior plans and got busy with the spoke wrench 😄 Here's the front wheel after some time spent delacing, relacing and tensioning...

I had wanted to alternate between black and red nipples but they had no stock of the black so went with all red instead 😄 A nice bit of bling for MrsB :laugh:

With both build up I figured I'd try a ghetto tubeless setup despite the rims not being tubeless compatible - always worth a try at mtb tyre pressures :laugh: I wouldn't say they were holding pressure, but they're also not haemorrhaging air so I suspect given long enough they'll seal, fingers crossed :laugh:

And a close up at the back with the red nipples...

It should end up being a pretty decent bike at this rate 😄 I've got a chain and chain guide to fit but I've had enough tinkering today :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
That's starting to look like quite a cool thing. Loving the colour scheme. :okay:

Question - what are the pedals, btw? They look like they'd be a good colour match for my Raleigh Max... :blush:

Thanks, I think its looking cool too :smile:

The pedals are Spanks Spoon, purchased as they're currently on sale at Wiggle, here... https://www.wiggle.co.uk/spank-spoon-dc-pedals

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I had some time to tinker this evening so fitted the front chain guard, chain and saddle. I then spent some time setting up the gears, brakes and suspension. I was a bit peeved to find the damping adjustment knob missing on the bottom of the SID fork leg, that needs some investigation. There is no obvious compression or rebound damping when the forks are compressed so either the knob has gone missing with them set at minimum or the entire damping cartridge is missing :laugh: I guess I'm going to have to open them up at some point and find out :rolleyes:

Other than that it's rather fab.. The tyres are still not holding pressure perfectly but neither are they completely flat when I go back to them so I'm expecting them to be fine after a few rides have swilled the sealant around nicely 😊

Chislenko

Veteran
Nope, SMP make 'em like that with the droop snoot - both male and female-specific versions. Some people swear by SMP saddles, others maintain they're made by Torquemada...

That's saddles for you. :laugh:

Thanks Reynard, must say don't pay much attention to passing saddles as they usually have a backside hiding them 🙂

Top Bottom