MTB Dual Control/STI Assistance Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Due to further handlebar adventures I find myself needing to save a little on control clamping area, so would like just one clamp holding both gears and brakes. at present bike has:-

V-brakes with seperate tektro levers
Shimano 440 9 speed trigger shifters
Shimano 440 9 speed front meach
Shimano toagra 9 speed rear mech

I have looked at the Deore STI option like this:-

http://www.southwatercycles.com/products.php?plid=m41b0s480p17135

or a Deore LX dual control model like this:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shimano-LX-Du...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR?hash=item3a54b3a137

Would I have any compatability issues with these sorts of controls? I really don't want to shell out for the top end but want something that will work ok. Appreciate any help you folks can offer.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

well I went ahead and ordered these from CRC:-

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=2494

got a further 10% off as it's still November so £26.99, I can live with that. Any problems and I can get new front and rear deraillers, I have a hankering for a low normal/rapid rise rear anyway:biggrin:

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Steve Austin said:
OMG. that'll never work!!!

ok, it'll work fine

ta Steve, I was pretty sure but, despite my endless reading of Sheldon etc, still a bit leery of trusting knowledge gleaned.

All this because I was seduced by the titec version of the Jones H-Bar, riser option. I can get the existing controls on but would need longer cables and, with seperate brake and shifter clamps, not ideal positioning. Seemed to make sense to buy new controls with cables supplied, thus reducing clamp area required and solving cable issue in one.

The dual controls may end up on the Karate Monkey and the good bike get and upgrade to the XTR STI........are they that much better?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
XTR sti shifters are truly great. worth every penny ime. but no-one really needs more than XT.
the SLX gear is very good now, and i know a lot of MTBers using it as its good quality and cheap, when compared to XTR/XT.

Have you posted any pix of your KM. i keep thinking i want one, but never sure..

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Steve Austin said:
XTR sti shifters are truly great. worth every penny ime. but no-one really needs more than XT.
the SLX gear is very good now, and i know a lot of MTBers using it as its good quality and cheap, when compared to XTR/XT.

Have you posted any pix of your KM. i keep thinking i want one, but never sure..

The KM isn't purchased yet, I've been speccing up to see what I can use from my existing pub bike. I should end up with:-

All rounder - current is an old Dawes steel frame with a new 3 speed hub built in to Mavic A719 rims, it has new Surly Crosscheck forks in 1" threadless, new 1" threadless headset, in fact new everything apart from the original frame - plan is to re-use as much as poss on the Karate Monkey frame. I want to run Marathon Supreme or Big Apple at 50mm, I know the A719's are only rated up to 47mm but reckoned they'd cope ok with that. I may just run the 3 speed hub to begin with but did fancy running a single ring and 8/9 speed wide range cassette.

But I've 'agreed' that some dosh has to come back in before I order the KM frame. So I need to get my arse in gear and get some of the surplus sold off. I started the other week and built up £100 in my paypal account but have blown that on the titec bars, the dual control shifters and some new gloves:blush: Should have more than enough, still to sell, to cover the £330 for the KM frameset. Will post up pics when I get it and try to do pics of the build and a decent review as well. In fact, considering the variety of stuff I've tried/bought(lost money on) in my short cycling career, I really should get round to some detailed reviews on all of it - may even save some others some dosh:biggrin:

Steve have you used rapid rise? - I've read a lot of negatives but the high normal only seems to make logical sense for racers and sprints. Does it work ok or are there mechanical issues around rapid rise? For my type of riding it's an easier gear I want to get to in a hurry:biggrin:

02GF74

Über Member
brakes will be fine.

I don't know if tiagra rear mech (road groupset) is compatible with mountain bike shifters. I'd be surprised if shimano make the rear shifters with different throw though.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

threebikesmcginty said:
Just as a slight aside, what's the attraction of the Karate Monkey MTB frame over a regular frame if you don't mind me being nosey?

Clearance and versatility, can take mahoosive tyres(up to 2.5inch or 65mm) on 700c rims, popularly referred to by the Americansim of 29er. It also has braze-ons for everything so can take guards, rack etc. I wanted a bike that could do everything fairly well. If you have two sets of tyres or, as the lazy in me plans, two wheelsets, then you've got a great allrounder. Fast enough on roads to take over the commute if needed and able to off road with the kids. Most of the off the shelf 29ers are disk brake only and that would limit the versatility for me.

NickM

Veteran
Rapid Rise might be all right if you are on your first bike, or only have one bike with trigger shifters, or if all your bikes are RR-equipped.

Otherwise, it's a pain in the arse. I took the OEM XT RR derailleur off one of my bikes after one ride. It's yours in exchange for a donation (you decide how much) to my favoured charity:

http://www.karuna.org/

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

NickM said:
Rapid Rise might be all right if you are on your first bike, or only have one bike with trigger shifters, or if all your bikes are RR-equipped.

Otherwise, it's a pain in the arse. I took the OEM XT RR derailleur off one of my bikes after one ride. It's yours in exchange for a donation (you decide how much) to my favoured charity:

http://www.karuna.org/

Yep only one derailler bike at present so converting to rapid rise not an issue, I'll pm you sir:biggrin:

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
02GF74 said:
I don't know if tiagra rear mech (road groupset) is compatible with mountain bike shifters. I'd be surprised if shimano make the rear shifters with different throw though.

All Shimano shifters and mechs are compatible with regards to pull ratio, apart form Nexus/alfine which are unique. Having owned the complete road and mtb range, and used most of them together, they all work fine together. apart from the alfine which i own, which does have a different pull ratio

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
RR is ok but i don't like it. it works the same imo, i just prefer being able to dump a load of gears into a harder gear, which isn't possible with RR.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

thanks Steve, RR derailler deal struck with Nick, if I don't like it then no biggie, it just slipped my frame purchase fund back into the negative:ohmy:

Monstercross eh? hadn't realised they had a name other than 29er and only discovered that via looking at the KM frameset on Surly. This originated with looking at options for all round bikes for the kids. They all cycle to school and currently have full sus MTB's, a little better than BSO's as all sourced via LBS and built properly. But still very heavy and energy sapping for a lot of the use they get. Considered fast hybrids but I know full well they'll carry on kerb hopping etc and they wouldn't be much use for our weekend riding. They wouldn't be sold on a solid all round hybrid, way to uncool:biggrin: and won't even try drop bar bikes. So I was looking for something that would give them a taste of speed on the road but cope with all the rest. I'm starting as the crash test dummy and, if the KM is what I hope, then we'll start kitting out the boys(Grandparents treat for them so dosh not so much of an issue:biggrin:). Plan remains the same for all, single chainring and broad range 8/9 speed cassette. plenty of gearing there for our uses.

Top Bottom