MTB Etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChristinaJL

I always think just because a rider is a bit slower it does not mean they are a worse rider, especially if the faster rider appears out of control then wobbles drastically 10m in front of me. :rolleyes:

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
In defence of the rider that passed you (cleanly, quickly and without hitting you I might add) - he wasn't expecting to find a family ride on a red route, sorry but most purpose built single track trails state that they are not suitable for family and beginner rides, Follow The Dog on the Chase is sign posted the same way.

It's a hard one trying to find a balance between enjoyment and challenge while not being a danger to other users.

Zoiders and Norm unless you know more than what the OP wrote, it seems clear him and his family were riding on a blue, not red route. In particular he said he was on the Adventure Trail, the Forestry Commission says "the Adventrue Cycle route accommodates those looking to spend a morning or afternoon meandering through the forest at a leisurely pace".

If a decision between one's enjoyment and a danger to other users can result in one's enjoyment winning out in this case, one probably should go and see a psychiatrist.

Zoiders

Zoiders and Norm unless you know more than what the OP wrote, it seems clear him and his family were riding on a blue, not red route. In particular he said he was on the Adventure Trail, the Forestry Commission says "the Adventrue Cycle route accommodates those looking to spend a morning or afternoon meandering through the forest at a leisurely pace".

If a decision between one's enjoyment and a danger to other users can result in one's enjoyment winning out in this case, one probably should go and see a psychiatrist.
I have seen this in other boards.

Mental health digs/smears are a really crap way of behaving in a thread, right up there with racism and sexism. Can we not see them in this board please as it's getting tired, save it for politics where you all agree to be nasty to each other.

ChristinaJL

What worries me sometimes about our local centre is that the black/red, blue and green all run a distance along the same part of the trail back to the car park and some riders just don't adjust their speed on sections which children ride. If a ride is designed for families then other riders should be considerate, shame some aren't. :rolleyes: Luckily the majority are, but there are always the odd one or two.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I have seen this in other boards.

Mental health digs/smears are a really crap way of behaving in a thread, right up there with racism and sexism. Can we not see them in this board please as it's getting tired, save it for politics where you all agree to be nasty to each other.

I am amazed that you seem to be taking it personally. I would have thought it is clear my post is referring to the rider if he did make such a decision (which he probably did).

Norm

Zoiders and Norm unless you know more than what the OP wrote, it seems clear him and his family were riding on a blue, not red route.
If that's the case, then I did misunderstand the particular circumstances as the previous sentence was "There is a more testing XC (red) trail for the hard cases".

It doesn't change what I wrote, though, which included (in case you missed it) "That doesn't mean that I think buzzing others with a close pass is ever acceptable".

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
If that's the case, then I did misunderstand the particular circumstances as the previous sentence was "There is a more testing XC (red) trail for the hard cases".

It doesn't change what I wrote, though, which included (in case you missed it) "That doesn't mean that I think buzzing others with a close pass is ever acceptable".

I did notice that and I agree. :thumbsup:

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Just pack it in.

Why?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
My understanding is a shout saying passing on left or right is the correct approach. Some people will push past and others will stay behind you. Don't be put off by the minority of ignorant a-holes.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Google whatever you like and be a pedant, we don't care.

But keep your nasty little comments and then the obtuse denials to yourself, it's simply not the place to be looking to get a rise from people.

It's not the politics board.

I have trouble seeing how stating the opinions I have, possibly clarifying the OP's circumstance in the face of potential misunderstandings, and supporting the OP and his family's rights not to be terrorised by irresponsible, selfish riders in a family orientated Trail should attract your comments above against me.

This is off topic but it seems to me your comments are also denigrating the Politics board and its particpants - I regularly read and appreciate many excellent, measured arguments there by participants from whom I learn a lot.

Top Bottom