MTB Etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
+1
I have trouble seeing how stating the opinions I have, possibly clarifying the OP's circumstance in the face of potential misunderstandings, and supporting the OP and his family's rights not to be terrorised by irresponsible, selfish riders in a family orientated Trail should attract your comments above against me.

This is off topic but it seems to me your comments are also denigrating the Politics board and its particpants - I regularly read and appreciate many excellent, measured arguments there by participants from whom I learn a lot.

Zoiders, not sure why you are getting so wound up.....it's clear to me that your original comment was posted without reading the original post properly.....as has been pointed out, he was riding a blue route and from the earlier comments/description, should expect some courtesy from other riders, given it is not aimed at hardcore go as fast as I can types.
Suggest you re-read the thread!

henshaw11

My understanding is a shout saying passing on left or right is the correct approach. Some people will push past and others will stay behind you. Don't be put off by the minority of ignorant a-holes.

Back on topic ;) - you're right, but that's in part what I was getting about when I said about calling out.
If the person in front hasn't heard it before or doesn't know what's meant 'on the right' could mean 'keep to the right', or it could mean 'I'm passing on the right'. That was certainly the case for me the first time I ever took part in an mtb racer 20-something years ago, so I just stayed on line and let the guy passing worry about it.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I agree shouting right or left is confusing. Passing right or left is better. Assuming the rider in front has heard you is dangerous imho and you should always look for acknoledgment of some kind. Doing that on a blue route is however frankly rude.

Norm

Back on topic ;) - you're right, but that's in part what I was getting about when I said about calling out.
If the person in front hasn't heard it before or doesn't know what's meant 'on the right' could mean 'keep to the right', or it could mean 'I'm passing on the right'. That was certainly the case for me the first time I ever took part in an mtb racer 20-something years ago, so I just stayed on line and let the guy passing worry about it.
I slow down and call "coming through on your left (or right)" when passing but I try to do so with enough notice and a low-enough speed differential that I can go either way or stop completely if there is any confusion.

Or I just match the speed of the person I'm approaching and use the excuse to get a breath. :biggrin:

OP
OP
Bromptonaut

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Thanks for the comments/support. To reiterate I was on the Adventure Trail which is graded blue. Apart from one steep descent it was pretty easy and most users were families with kids from around 11 up. My party comprised me and Mrs B, our 18yo daughter, 16 yo son and daughter's 20yo b/f. I'm an expererienced commuter & touring rider and while rearward observation to road standards is not possible on MTB terrain I'd heard and made way for other riders. A 'passing left' call would have been entirely what I'd expect on the road and would not have cuased me the slightest prob.

Picking up on a comment upthread my immediate reaction to Mrs B was 'bet he drives a BMW!!

Tynan

Veteran
teehee, suspect some rearguard action from red route geezers that missed the blue route point

Cubist

Still wavin'
teehee, suspect some rearguard action from red route geezers that missed the blue route point

Indeed!

By the way, Bromptonaut, I would heartily recommend the red route at Sherwood Pines. It is all singletrack, with a couple of steepish chutes, but no rocks, no drop-offs or jumps that can't be rolled in comfort. In fact, without wanting to upset anyone it's probably the best route for novice/improvers to ride on as it has nothing that will destroy confidence levels.

As for the eejits that buzzed you..... forget them, you'll meet far more nice MTBers than bad ones, and if that's how they get their kicks you could always pull their legs in the car park afterwards about having something to prove on family routes.
tongue.gif

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
:biggrin:
Indeed!

By the way, Bromptonaut, I would heartily recommend the red route at Sherwood Pines. It is all singletrack, with a couple of steepish chutes, but no rocks, no drop-offs or jumps that can't be rolled in comfort. In fact, without wanting to upset anyone it's probably the best route for novice/improvers to ride on as it has nothing that will destroy confidence levels.

As for the eejits that buzzed you..... forget them, you'll meet far more nice MTBers than bad ones, and if that's how they get their kicks you could always pull their legs in the car park afterwards about having something to prove on family routes.
tongue.gif

Janeyb

IMO it's just common sense to give a shout to give people warning. I gave a shout out to the couple WALKING ALONG A TIGHT SECTION OF THE RED ROUTE!!!!! at Thetford on Monday. We were going at a fair pace but slow enough to see them in time and apply the brakes. The response we received was.....'Our kids are on their bikes up ahead and we don't want to lose them'! We then encountered the kids standing chatting and waiting for their parents blocking the route! Next we encountered a chap walking his dog (not on a lead) on another section of one way single track! Love it!

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Some people are asking for trouble. I actually though it walking along any dedicated cycle trail was not allowed.

IMO it's just common sense to give a shout to give people warning. I gave a shout out to the couple WALKING ALONG A TIGHT SECTION OF THE RED ROUTE!!!!! at Thetford on Monday. We were going at a fair pace but slow enough to see them in time and apply the brakes. The response we received was.....'Our kids are on their bikes up ahead and we don't want to lose them'! We then encountered the kids standing chatting and waiting for their parents blocking the route! Next we encountered a chap walking his dog (not on a lead) on another section of one way single track! Love it!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I love Zoiders analogy of 'MTB's are designed for going downhill fast'. That's where I got it wrong - bought one before suspension came the thing. It's set up as an off road 'road bike' - fast as heck XC and up hill but won't go down rocky stuff well (more the rider).

So for us off road numpties... RED and BLACK are fairly 'hard' as in technical (down hill, rocks, these wooden plank things, and 'drop offs..OMG) - not bothered about MT Everest ascent, I am a roadie - can we have an up hill MTB course ? :tongue:

lukesdad

Mmm Mtbers who have raced are probably a little confused as to what to do when not racing :biggrin: When racing it is down to the faster guy to pass and not to shout anything for obvious reasons, he must make the deviation and pass safely. Shouting when passing is not a good idea apart from the which side confusion allready pointed out, it is not a good idea to startle a novice or nervous rider as they could be likely to do something totally unexpected, on trail parks I would expect them to slow down mind.

Norm

Mmm Mtbers who have raced are probably a little confused as to what to do when not racing :biggrin:
Is there something which makes MTBers unable to handle this confusion, as the people I know who race cars, bikes, boats, planes, 4x4, and even lawn-mowers are able to manage the transition to acceptable driving / riding / flying when they are not racing. ;)

Top Bottom