MTB Etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is there something which makes MTBers unable to handle this confusion, as the people I know who race cars, bikes, boats, planes, 4x4, and even lawn-mowers are able to manage the transition to acceptable driving / riding / flying when they are not racing. ;)

I read this thread yesterday and have been thinking about it. If you are racing, and you are passing someone who is obviously not in your category (eg you are a man, racing in mens sport or whatever, and you are overtaking a woman who is on the same course), then it is the right thing to say 'coming through on your right/left'. But it is also true that the person overtaking has to find a safe way through as the person being overtaken will be on their line, probably the better line, and is entitled to be there. Just barging through is not acceptable, although plenty of people do it, and it can cause crashes and all sorts. I have been there! I have also seen this kind of behaviour when out on the general trails (not just trail centres), to the extent to which stronger riders have buzzed the back wheels of weaker riders (who they don't know). It's just not acceptable behaviour.

As far as the OP is concerned, the actions of the overtaker are unacceptably rude and nothing short of bullying. On a blue trail where there will be novice bikers you either pass with plenty of space, at a reasonable speed, or if there is little space, warn the person and say 'coming through on your left/right when you are ready'. Sadly though there are pr*cks in all walks of life and mtbing is no exception.

tradesecrets

The weekend .. of recent weather wise was exceptional so i made the most of it and spent everyday out on my bike ..

The bike track i use is heavily used .. by various people especially those that can't ride bikes they struggle like hell wobbly all over the shop never mind pay attention or listen out to the sound of the bike bell and family that take the kids out and the dogs ..

It doesn't matter if your plodding along or bootin the arse out of it your more likely to be held up at some stage by kids which the parents are so unassuming of what is coming to and fro and dogs pff the leads ...

And not forgetting the ipod wearing crew as well be it joggers or cyclists

And the ones that totally rip it no matter are those on racers those dressed up glorified wannabee pro cyclists and some of the them are old enough to be my dad ...

lukesdad

Is there something which makes MTBers unable to handle this confusion, as the people I know who race cars, bikes, boats, planes, 4x4, and even lawn-mowers are able to manage the transition to acceptable driving / riding / flying when they are not racing. ;)

Norm note the smiley :thumbsup:

Top Bottom