MTB flat pedal with pins for commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nz6666

Regular
I may should ask this in commute forum but guess people here may understand the pedals and shoes I am going to talk about more. So here it goes:

I have only used basic flat pedals (no pins). Then switched to spd clipless for commuting in London (inc some part of central London). Now thinking of MTB flat with pins. Reason is for the safety especially for central London and also for other family member to use the bike occasionally (flat only).

I am wondering what shoes should I get for these pedals? Will the pins damage soles of normal trainers? Read some Five Ten shoes seems to be very grippy. But what about the durability of the soles for the pins? Or should I just get a Five Ten and use it on flat without pins since they are already very grippy?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have a set of Wellgo V8 copies for my commuter, these have fairly sharp pins (well they did when new) - I can ride in pretty much any shoe as long it it has a soft'ish sole. I use anything from walking boots through trainers to sandals. The only thing I don't ride in is posh leather soles shoes. I don't see any noticeable damage at all.

Bodhbh

Guru
The do wreck soles in the end - eventually tearing a hole in them. Can't comment on Five Tens, as I tend to use old trainers that are already worn flat from walking. I seem to get the best part of a year out of a pair of trainers tho, before they go totally kaput. By then there's another worn flat pair ready to get used.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I have a set of Wellgo V8 copies for my commuter, these have fairly sharp pins (well they did when new) - I can ride in pretty much any shoe as long it it has a soft'ish sole. I use anything from walking boots through trainers to sandals. The only thing I don't ride in is posh leather soles shoes. I don't see any noticeable damage at all.
same here... any shoes seem to work. Never had my foot slip and no noticeable damage to the soles. (i tend to wear converse style baseball boots/shoes, or skate shoes, but also smart shoes or walking boots occasionally).

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Use V8's and V12's where I have flats and commute in 'last years nice trainers' pretty much exclusively (asic gel Kayano 18's) and while they mark the soles, they're yet to really cut in to them. I like the feel a lot, while I didn't have particular problems with the SPD's and commuting I've just left flat pedals on the hybrid which has seen most use this year. The pins allow you to grip the pedal to pull back up to stroke at traffic lights most of the time too. I'd recommend it.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I have the DMR's and am probably equally happy. They happened to be the ones in front of me when I had money in my grubby little mitts first time round and I'm often quite brand loyal although there's every chance my later eBay bought ones are fakes (just because they were cheap, no obvious faults so far).

Levo-Lon

Guru
The shimano saints are a good choice as you can have the pins short or long or remove altogether.
35 quid for possibly the best flat pedal around..at that price .

the coppies are good too for the price

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I've never fiddled with the pins in my DMR's, but they are also threaded with a tiny hex head in them so can be replaced/adjusted/removed. What I will add is that my Synapse had the Shimano 530's (520's? Can't be bothered to check) on it, the SPD one side, flat the other side pedal. In my SPD shoes the flat side has always felt very slippy and I'd some to the conclusion that they'd need something added (tap in some pins ala the DMR) for me to be happy with them. But I rode the bike in the 'Dam earlier in the year with my normal trainers on and the flat sides were nice and grippy and gave a decent ride. I was pleasantly surprised. So you might want to consider a pedal that gives you both options if the bike sees more than commuting work and you already have cleats as an option.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The V8 Copies from Chain Reaction are what I have - I just don't see the need to spend more on the commuter. Mine have done thousands of miles without any maintenance at all, I will just replace when they fail.

Motozulu

Über Member
The original question was....what SHOES....so yeah 5 tens or if you can still find a pair I would deffo say the Teva Links.
Got mine for £44 which is roughly half the price of 5 tens but they are just as good. A real shame that Teva have stopped making them.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I got a pair of Five Ten Freerider Elements (the more weatherproof version) and they stick like glue to the pedals but I find them a wee bit heavy. I also use astro turf type trainers which are also very grippy.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Ahh ok shoes..5/10 are very grippy..can be too grippy..AM41 are very good and offer good weather protection ..5/10 are sponges..

teva are good also..

Top Bottom