MTB flat pedal with pins for commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mobytek

5.10 good for what they are but they will wear down as the Superstealth is soft and they will rip up.

Converse / vans / skateboard tye shoes have a harder compound for the sole, and generally have a tread pattern like hudreds of inward pyramids, thus the pins can catch onto these as opposed to sticking into the flatter soles or larger flatter surfaces of trainers.

I can certainly say what shoes not to go for - leather soled dress shoes, ballet pumps or 5 toe freefoot trainers!

Or, as there are others using the bike - set of flip sided SPD / Flat pedal, so you still get the clip and the flats.

Motozulu

Über Member
Yes, the 5/10's are grippier but do wear down fast - I've found the Teva links are plenty grippy enough but have the inverse pyramid tread design described above. I've had my Teva's for nearly a year now and they've had some real hammer in that time, the bottom looks hardly touched and all round nearly as good as new, they reject water much better than the 5/10's too (although the elements version isn't bad).

So - if you can find a pair - Teva Links.

OP
OP
N

nz6666

Regular
Which pedals did the OP go for in the end? Was thinking of getting some Saint pedals or something in their price range

I got the saint pedals in the end and i am happy. Haven't tried others but i guess they all very similar. I found no need for a five ten. Normal shoes are good enough. The wear depends on the soles. One pair of my shoes got minimum wear (i wear them almost every day) but the other are very easy to get wear marks after little use probably because too soft. But both are grippy enough on the pins.

Top Bottom