MTB gears on a road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philinmerthyr

Über Member
Being a larger rider (around 20 st) I'm looking for an easier gear for climbing while I lose weight. On 6% hills my cadence is around 60 with my current setup which isn't ideal. Im training for the London 100 which needs me to get through the Surrey hills after around 45 miles and then to do another 30 miles so I'm looking to keep my cadence around 80.

A friend has offered me some deore MTB components to help me with the training. Ive found them on the internet and pictured them below. Would these work with my 105 10 speed shifters and fit in a Roubaix?

Will the chain work with the larger front chain rings on the road bike?

I know training and loosing weight is the best way and I am doing that as well.

image.jpg

Peteaud

Veteran
Will it fit?

Yes if you have 10 speed Shimano shifters.

Jon2

I'm fairly sure the 10 speed mountain bike mechs have a different cable pull ratio to most other shimano mechs. A 9 speed mech has the same cable pull ratio and would work.

OP
OP
philinmerthyr

philinmerthyr

Über Member
Thanks for the info. I may need to buy the components then. The Alivio level looks good value. Would it be suitable. My intention is that the road gears are back on the bike in a few months.

Howard

I've seen people using Nine speed XT mechs with with ten speed road - I'd go for that. You won't need to change the chain. Edit - unless it's not long enough for the new gears. Point is 10 speed road chains do work with 10 speed MTB cassettes, even if Shimano say they don't.

However it might be more straightforward to use smaller chainrings and a cassette with bigger sprockets. Talk to your LBS about fitting a 33 tooth small ring and a cassette with a 28 or 30 tooth - if your rear mech will take it - sprocket.

This is all assuming you have a compact double chainset with 36/50 teeth and a 12-26 or thereabouts cassette.

Peteaud

Veteran
What gears have you got at the moment.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
why not get a tiagra long cage rear mech and 11-32 road cassette - then you wouldn't need to worry about pull ratios etc as it would be a road mech

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
why not get a tiagra long cage rear mech and 11-32 road cassette - then you wouldn't need to worry about pull ratios etc as it would be a road mech

That's what I did except that I got an Ultegra long cage RD.
On my bike I think I could even have got away with a 34 cassette if I'd wanted to.
Up front I've got 50/34.

I think its got 11-30 range 10 speed cassette at the moment if its a standard 10 speed roubaix with 105 shifters...

I'd try and change the cassette only at moment depending on current mileage (chain slipping) you never know with shimano, the specs for range are often forgiving.

Top Bottom