MTB help for an ignorant roadie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I'll admit I know sweet FA about MTBs

However a friend has asked me for help finding a suitable full-suss MTB.

His doctor has told him he needs full-suspension because of a recent spinal op, even though chances it will never be used off-road.

I suggested hardtail with maybe suspension seatpost but he's adamant it's got to be full suspension.

He's a big guy, maybe 18-20 stone and 6 ft and needs to lose some weight, he's 50+ and doesnt fancy gyms or running hence the wish to start cycling

He's quite prepared to spend the money to get something decent. Up to £1000 or even a little more.... and preferably from LBS rather than online. The only other thing he knows he wants apart from suspension is hydraulic discs, but at that price I imagine that's normal ?

I'll make sure he gets suitable tyres for road use and so on, but I've really no idea which brands/models to point him at?

So - any suggestions for really good value?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Boardman Team (or Comp) FS - got rave reviews in all the comics, I've ridden a friends and for the money it is amazing. Others will be able to point you at some excellent 2009 bargains out there at around the price point though you may not find a size to suit and may not find one local whereas H*lf*rds are everywhere.

I suspect his Dr. knows nothing about bikes btw & £1000 on a full boinger that will never be ridden off road is a bit of a waste of dosh imo. But it's your mate's money and peace of mind.

RedBike

Although rear suspension will help absorb big bumps like pot-hole, rocks on the trail i'm afraid it will do Sweet F.A for the comfort of the bike on the road.

Basically if the suspension is soft enough to start absorbing every ripple in the road then the bike will bob up and down like a pogo stick if you try and pedal hard.

Most small bump 'suspension' comes from the tyres. The larger and lower pressure the better. (Big apples?)

I would seriously look around for a carbon framed hybrid (sorry no suggestions) with a suspension seatpost. Carbon IS very good at absorbing those small bumps / vibration and the suspension seatpost will take care of those pot-holes he's misses.

RedBike

Basically he needs to try loads of different bikes before getting a full suspension beast.

It's also worth adding a 29er MTB to his list. Those large volume 29" tyres really work well at absorbing lumps and bumps!

02GF74

Über Member
RedBike said:
Although rear suspension will help absorb big bumps like pot-hole, rocks on the trail i'm afraid it will do Sweet F.A for the comfort of the bike on the road.

Basically if the suspension is soft enough to start absorbing every ripple in the road then the bike will bob up and down like a pogo stick if you try and pedal hard.

There is the specialized epic with "brain" in rear shock (lock out when pdealling but loosens on big bumps) plus lock out but still about 10 mm suspsnion in the front ... but not to £ 1 k budget, not new anyway.

there are also aluminium alloy and carbon fibre frames that are design to give some rear end shock absorbing - some designed for quite a bit of flex.

BTW suspension seat post are the work of the devil - avoid - not used one but the idea of the sadlle heoight changing fills me with dread

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
Wholeheartedly concur with everything that's been said....
I think the last think he needs is a full-suss for the sort of riding he will do - but that's what his doc has told him (rightly or wrongly) and so that it must be

Any other suggestions apart from the Boardmans?

How about this Felt at Evans? Looks a reasonably well specced bike to me.

Or this ? Never heard of Pinnacle, but again spec looks OK

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
porkypete said:
Wholeheartedly concur with everything that's been said....
I think the last think he needs is a full-suss for the sort of riding he will do - but that's what his doc has told him (rightly or wrongly) and so that it must be

Any other suggestions apart from the Boardmans?

How about this Felt at Evans? Looks a reasonably well specced bike to me.

Or this ? Never heard of Pinnacle, but again spec looks OK

Pinnacle, iirc, is Evans in-house own brand.

Not much wrong with either of those

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
The bugger just sent me an e-mail asking what I thought of:

www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=30482

If he can afford one of those I am in the wrong job.

lukesdad

I would have thought the movement in a full suss. would aggrevate the back more than an HT if he s not running on the rough.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
If he has upped his budget, he really should be looking at the Orange Five. Full squidgers can get a bit squashed by the the 'ahem' larger riders but the Orange has a good reputation amongst the heavier riders amongst us.

Its really is worth him getting a ride on any bike he wants as well. Spending a lot on a Full susser that he hasn't ridden or tried could prove to be a very expensive mistake...

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
RedBike said:

Most small bump 'suspension' comes from the tyres. The larger and lower pressure the better. (Big apples?)

I would seriously look around for a carbon framed hybrid (sorry no suggestions) with a suspension seatpost. Carbon IS very good at absorbing those small bumps / vibration and the suspension seatpost will take care of those pot-holes he's misses.

mine absorbs all the road bumps and is unbelievably smooth on the road.

but that aside, why an mtb? mtb's usually have quite an upright position putting more weight on the ass and spine. road bikes tend to share the load better. perhaps a sporty roadie and a brooks flyer would be the option?

bromptonfb said:
... why an mtb? mtb's usually have quite an upright position putting more weight on the ass and spine. road bikes tend to share the load better. perhaps a sporty roadie and a brooks flyer would be the option?

OR..

Would a recumbent (trike if not confident on a 2 wheeler) be more suitable altogether?

Perhaps something that the doc overlooked completely?

Top Bottom