MTB help for an ignorant roadie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedBike

bromptonfb said:
mine absorbs all the road bumps and is unbelievably smooth on the road.

but that aside, why an mtb? mtb's usually have quite an upright position putting more weight on the ass and spine. road bikes tend to share the load better. perhaps a sporty roadie and a brooks flyer would be the option?

We were taking about a 'budget' 1k full suspension bike, not a high end mega money carbon beast. If you locked out your suspension then your bike would still be comfortable on the road. It's not really the rear suspension that doing the work in absorbing the road vibration / small bumps. The suspension only really has an effect when you start talking about pot-holes.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
oh, i would have thought a £1k fs would absorb more bumps and vibration with the stories of bobbing i read. i wouldn't go as far to say mine is comfortable on the road. i went out on colins ride with my mtb slicked out with 100 psi tyres. by the end it was not comfortable at all and i was far slower than i would have been on my heavyweight brommie and front lugguage. i was really surprised. just proves (to me) that road bike geometry (even brommie geometry)and mtb geometry are so different for a reason. i know it sounds obvious but i thought that a mega expensive featherweight slicked mtb would be better on the road than a cheapo brommie, how wrong i was.

edit: having brilliant brakes on the road is not always a good thing. it makes you feel safer than you are. i had a dodgy moment on colins ride, my own fault, i knew the brakes would stop me no matter how fast i was going, however you get to a point where friction between the road and tyre is not as good as you think, which makes you automatically pull harder on the lever which gives less friction, which gives peanut squinting moment on the wrong side of a tight corner. shoot brakes on the brommie makes me take corners at a more sedate speed.

RedBike

@Bromptonfb : Lol about the brakes. The brakes on the fixie are nowhere near as good as my other bikes, which is actually a good thing. My main trouble in stopping the fixie is that I really struggle to get my weight back/off the saddle while pedalling. This means that if I do slam my brakes on I'm highly likely to disapear over the bars.
Something i've found to my cost with the fixed wheel disc braked MTB!

GilesM

Legendary Member
porkypete said:
The bugger just sent me an e-mail asking what I thought of:

www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=30482

If he can afford one of those I am in the wrong job.

If he has that amount of money to spend, then I would suggest one of the Scott full suss bikes, probably one of the Spark models, see here,

http://www.kudubikes.co.uk/shop/98/148/

The advantage of the Scott bikes is the rear shock has three settings, full rear suspension, traction control, or no suspension, it might allow your friend to work out what is most comfortable for his back.

Top Bottom