MTB - marathon (i think) 13th sept cumbria

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JohnRedcoRn

anyone doing this ? been roped in by my (vastly more experienced) mate - he's doing the 100, me the 50 (no way am i ready for hartside pass yet !!)

looking forward to this with a mix of excitement and fear - expect its more challenging than great north bike ride. seems a mountain bike led event but its all on road so i'm ok on me hybrid.

is kendal mint cake any good as a cycling food ?

ASC1951

Guru
JohnRedcoRn said:
is kendal mint cake any good as a cycling food ?
No. It's just sugar, plus something to make it taste nasty.

You are better with slower release carbohydrate.

OP
OP
JohnRedcoRn

JohnRedcoRn

bananas and cereal bars and jelly babies - this is what i've used so far, will this do or should i really get some 'proper' energy bars. (i sometimes keep a urine sample pot full of orange juice as a quick boost too)

ASC1951

Guru
That should be fine to get you round 50 miles. Unless you are a performance athlete looking to shave a minute or so, you don't need any particular magic substance just because you are on a bicycle, rather than doing whatever you normally do during the day. You just need more of it.

I find neat orange juice a bit aggressive. 50-50 with water goes down better.

Leadlegs

JohnRedcoRn said:
anyone doing this ? been roped in by my (vastly more experienced) mate - he's doing the 100, me the 50 (no way am i ready for hartside pass yet !!)

I'm booked in for the 50, but won't know until the day if I'm actually going to do it. I'm recovering from an injury and my road bike is trashed. If I do it, I'll be using my mountain bike with road tyres fitted and will be taking it nice and steady.

OP
OP
JohnRedcoRn

JohnRedcoRn

may be a silly question, but what are the chances of camping the night before this ride ? (camping facilities included in registration)

its in penrith ; lowther deer park, and bearing in mind the relentless torrents of piss we've had of late.

likely to be waterlogged - so a terrible idea, or is anyone in here considering camping it ?

i just wondered, as my experience of both camping and cycling is quite limited.

RedBike

I'm planning on camping there and riding the 100km. (Actually only 84km)

I don't think i'm anywhere near fit enough, just going to hope determination will see me through.

OP
OP
JohnRedcoRn

JohnRedcoRn

you are brave, or mad, or both. I hear tales of this 'hartside pass', it sounds like a hill made by the very devil himself ! i'm giving it a couple of years before i tackle anything like that,

RedBike

Good luck everyone.

My cars now all packed and i will be on my way after work.
I'm not expecting to get there until 9/10pm so i'm praying the camp site is still open

OP
OP
JohnRedcoRn

JohnRedcoRn

I'M EXCITED NOW, tomorrow is the'next level' for me after the GNBR....

a colleague kindly gave me a geography lesson and pointed out that even on the 50m that i'm doing, those little pink lines on the map are climbs. shoot.
OH well, i have been out practising some climbs in the 'come on you motherf****r' frame of mind, and its not a race, so i'm going to enjoy meself (i keep telling myself that!)
unfortunATEly my fellow wheeler has last minute work commitments so we're driving down there early tomorrow.
Looking forward to it, i'm all clean and lubed like an eager bride, he he

Top Bottom