MTB or Road Shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Rustybucket

Rustybucket

Veteran
Just in case people are getting an impression that there is a consensus that off-road and road pedal/shoe systems are no different from each other, I am putting forth my considered opinion that they are in fact quite different, and well suited to each other's area of expertise.

If people are happy to compromise on-road performance to facilitate other activities, such as walking, that's fine, but it's a stretch to then say that SPDs perform just as well as SDP-SL for road riding.

Hi Vamp

What would you say the benefits of SDP-SP are over SPD's for road riding? Does it improve performance, comfort ect???
thanks

VamP

Banned
Road pedal/shoe combo provides a much firmer and stable platform, much less likely to unclip accidentally when really powering on.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Just in case people are getting an impression that there is a consensus that off-road and road pedal/shoe systems are no different from each other, I am putting forth my considered opinion that they are in fact quite different, and well suited to each other's area of expertise.

If people are happy to compromise on-road performance to facilitate other activities, such as walking, that's fine, but it's a stretch to then say that SPDs perform just as well as SDP-SL for road riding.
Road pedal/shoe combo provides a much firmer and stable platform, much less likely to unclip accidentally when really powering on.
Never ever unclipped from properly setup and adjusted spd's accidentally when really powering on, and spds provide all the stability and firmness I need so can't say I've met that problem.

Is there any published data which shows that using spds on road actually compromise performance for non-professional riders? Genuinely interested tis all, not trolling.

VamP

Banned
Never ever unclipped from properly setup and adjusted spd's accidentally when really powering on, and spds provide all the stability and firmness I need so can't say I've met that problem.

Is there any published data which shows that using spds on road actually compromise performance for non-professional riders? Genuinely interested tis all, not trolling.

No idea Greg. I am basing my opinion purely on my own experience.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
The only time I have accidentally unclipped from my MTB SPDs is when trying to do silly bunny hops and jumps. It turned out to be a worn pedal (probably about 15 yrs old). Never had an occurrence when pedalling though, only when ars3ing around :whistle:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I wonder how often you guys sprint?
:rolleyes:

VamP

Banned
It was a genuine question.

In the cross season I do two sprint interval sessions per week, plus a race. That's in the region of 100 to 150 flat out sprints per week. I do them on road and off-road pedals. Trust me, there is a big difference in how they feel.

Top Bottom