MTB pedals on a road bike - should I change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cambsno

So I put mtb pedals on my road bike last year, first time with clipped in. Like them and did this as wanted to be able to walk easier when not riding. However this year I have noticed the outside of my right foot will ache at around 10-15 miles. Nothing too bad but enough for slight discomfort and on my mind. As far as my eye can tell the left and right are in same position and the left is fine, but almost halfway on the right i can feel it. In my head it feels that the outside of my foot is angled down slightly but that may be just in my head.

so would using mtb shoes be the main reason? Should I be better off with road shoes?

my rides this year have mainly been sub 30m with one 40m in but as we get nicer weather these will often be 50m with the aim of some 60+ in. Ido not hammer it, averaging 13-14mph and not bothered about small improvements in speed just comfort!

Justified_Sinner

It is probably worth seeing if you can speak to a sports physiologist. Some local authorities have them very cheaply or free in sports centres. When I started riding seriously in the early 1990s, I was having problems with my knees: the physio watched me riding and walking and told me to get MTB shoes and pedals and, sure enough, the problem went away.
I ride MTB shoes and pedals on my main road bike and do a couple of hundred km per week without any problem BUT I've been using this set up for so long, on MTB, hybrid and road that I'm probably used to it now.
Unless someone on here has a better idea, I'd go and speak to the physio.

byegad

Legendary Member
I had issues with SPDs. I got numb toes and the ball of my foot felt hot.
Careful measurements suggested the cleat area was taking all of the weight/power, despite the pedal having a platform around the cleat clip in area.
I changed to Crank Brothers Mallets, which have an eggbeater in the centre of a large platform and slightly different, but similar cleats to the SPDs. No more foot issues, but the Mallets are huge so I tried CB Candy pedals which are more discreet in size but just as comfortable.
If I were you I'd avoid road pedals and the consequent walk like a duck effect off the bike.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
i use mtb style pedals with no issues at all so i would check you set up , in fact i did a century last week using m520s with no problems
This is interesting for knee pain but does cover ankles too
https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/fitness-and-training/cycling-knee-pain-the-problem-areas/
Hot foot can be a combination of many factord from to flexible soles, cleats too far forward and pedal platform size.
larger double entry pedals like m 530s or single sided like a520/a600

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Check the set up of your cleats. Move the cleat closer to the outside of your foot see if that helps.
Despite what others say there is no difference between a good mtb cleat/pedal/shoe set up and similar road bike set up. Its not a cure changing.

Top Bottom