MTB rebuild

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zoiders

I'm pretty sure that American market steel frames are no better or worse for rust than frames manufactured for other territories.
The US market of the time was based very strongly around the Calfornian scene, it's where a huge chunk of development and market testing was done - they didn't offer seperate UK sales lines at the time, it was pretty much all US market based with a few exceptions like Muddy Fox and Orange or Pace who started adding things like down tube bosses for crud catchers.

Dry summer trails and no road salt meant they never put frame saver in US bikes, Trek MTB's of the same period rot out as well.

On-One bikes made the same mistake as well recently even though they are a UK company, frames that actualy weeped rust from drain holes and the headtube gusset.

The US market of the time was based very strongly around the Calfornian scene, it's where a huge chunk of development and market testing was done.

Dry summer trails and no road salt meant they never put frame saver in, Trek MTB's of the same period rot out as well.

I lived in California in 1994 and worked in the cycle industry there. At that point in history Specialized had been selling bikes into Europe for a decade.

You appear to be suggesting that bikes manufactured for sale in the US market were treated differently in the factory to bikes manufactured for sale in Europe. How can I politely suggest that you are making this up? I'm sure you've seen rusty frames of the period from US centric brands - no question about that, I've seen them myself. To suggest that US market bikes were treated any differently in the Taiwanese factory from UK (say) market bikes such as.... Muddy Fox, Saracen, Raleigh is a step beyond. A guess. Because bikes made in Taiwan for the UK market - Muddy Foxes, Saracens et al, as well as British made bikes like Bromptons, Pashleys and Thorns can and do rot through. Please stop presenting what you imagine to be facts as actual facts.

Zoiders

I lived in California in 1994 and worked in the cycle industry there. At that point in history Specialized had been selling bikes into Europe for a decade.

You appear to be suggesting that bikes manufactured for sale in the US market were treated differently in the factory to bikes manufactured for sale in Europe. How can I politely suggest that you are making this up? I'm sure you've seen rusty frames of the period from US centric brands - no question about that, I've seen them myself. To suggest that US market bikes were treated any differently in the Taiwanese factory from UK (say) market bikes such as.... Muddy Fox, Saracen, Raleigh is a step beyond. A guess. Because bikes made in Taiwan for the UK market - Muddy Foxes, Saracens et al, as well as British made bikes like Bromptons, Pashleys and Thorns can and do rot through. Please stop presenting what you imagine to be facts as actual facts.
Stop being an agressive pedant and shitting up yet another thread, so you spent a gap year in states bully for you.

Late 80s early 90's a lot of steel was still US manufactured so stop making sweeping comparisons with the state of the industry in 2011.

Try actualy working on the older bikes and witnessing how they degrade and stop commenting on stuff you googled.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
popcorn.gif

Stop being an aggressive pedant and shitting up yet another thread, so you spent a gap year in the States bully for you.

Late 80s early 90's a lot of steel was still US manufactured so stop making sweeping comparisons with the state of the industry in 2011.

Try actually working on the older bikes and witnessing how they degrade and stop commenting on stuff you googled.

You are Bonj and ICM£5.

Not 'gap'. They didn't have them in my day sonny. And not a year.

'A lot of steel'? Like what for example (side from True Temper)? Making it up again.

And I never mentioned 2011, what are you on about?

I have and I do work on older bikes - which is how I caught you out. I worked on one from 1914 just the other day as it goes.

Commenting on stuff I Googled? Whatever.

You keep making sweeping statements which are not true.

Such as the one you made recently about grades of emery.

Zoiders

You are Bonj and ICM£5.

Not 'gap'. They didn't have them in my day sonny. And not a year.

'A lot of steel'? Like what for example (side from True Temper)? Making it up again.

And I never mentioned 2011, what are you on about?

I have and I do work on older bikes - which is how I caught you out. I worked on one from 1914 just the other day as it goes.

Commenting on stuff I Googled? Whatever.

You keep making sweeping statements which are not true.

Such as the one you made recently about grades of emery.
Ah spelling pedantry, the last grasp of the shrill and indignant.

See the mods if you have a problem with people offering a different opinion to yourself.

In the mean time have a wiff of WD40 and relax as life is too short.

My problem Zoiders, as I have tried politely to explain, is your making up of things in your head and presenting them as facts. You do it all the time. And you've been doing it for as long as I can remember. All that's changed is that I've stopped biting my lip. When people are seeking after the truth you try to lead them up a blind alley. I may well come across as pedantic but I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that advice given on this board should have some basis in reality. This is not about 'difference of opinion' its about truth. And the truth is there are many grades of emery. The truth is that there is not 'a lot of steel made in the US'. The truth is that bikes made in the mid nineties did not differ in spec or steel across different territories. Steel made in the US was no more likely to rust than steel made in Taiwan. I've worked in the bicycle industry for a long time and I know these to be facts. I had a professional involvement with Specialized on and off from 1985 till '96. I spent time in the company of Robert Egger at Morgan Hill in 1993 Zoiders. I know what I'm talking about.

What I'm hoping will come out of these little chats is that you'll simply edit your advice to include only information you know to be true.

Don't take it personally - my aim is not to humiliate you, but know that if you continue to spout bullshit I'll continue to pull you up on it.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Well said Mickle :smile:
My problem Zoiders, as I have tried politely to explain, is your making up of things in your head and presenting them as facts. You do it all the time. And you've been doing it for as long as I can remember. All that's changed is that I've stopped biting my lip. When people are seeking after the truth you try to lead them up a blind alley. I may well come across as pedantic but I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that advice given on this board should have some basis in reality. This is not about 'difference of opinion' its about truth. And the truth is there are many grades of emery. The truth is that there is not 'a lot of steel made in the US'. The truth is that bikes made in the mid nineties did not differ in spec or steel across different territories. Steel made in the US was no more likely to rust than steel made in Taiwan. I've worked in the bicycle industry for a long time and I know these to be facts. I had a professional involvement with Specialized on and off from 1985 till '96. I spent time in the company of Robert Egger at Morgan Hill in 1993 Zoiders. I know what I'm talking about.

What I'm hoping will come out of these little chats is that you'll simply edit your advice to include only information you know to be true.

Don't take it personally - my aim is not to humiliate you, but know that if you continue to spout bullshit I'll continue to pull you up on it.

Zoiders

Still upset about emery paper?

If you recall at the time I did explain there are several grades, most being fine for most finishing jobs as long as you don't go too fine, they don't by the way come in very course grits - thats alumium oxide paper - I can go and get the quote if you wish. You getting your knickers in a twist because you were beaten to the punchline is just your tough tits.

You were just being an agressive pedant again.

If you want to use the knowledge as a tool for own self promotion then you need to stop trying to do it at the expense of others, I have bitten my lip for long enough, I don't quote you all the time or try to pick it apart, I don't make it personal yet you seem intent on doing so yourself.

If you have a problem - see the mods, otherwise wind your neck in as I don't think for a minute your little crusade has anything to do with the content of my posts in the knowledge.

You posted: .... Needle file and some emery paper.

To which I replied: Needle file? Really? And what grade of emery?

To which you responded: 'Emery paper is emery paper, also known as J-cloth or wet and dry depending if it comes on a thin roll or in sheets, it doesn't come in coarse grits, you are thinking of aluminium oxide paper which is not the same thing so learn your abrasives before you comment'.

To which I replied: Wrong.

http://www.suttontoo...Papers_325.html

It seems to me that I asked you to clarify what grade of emery you were recommending (because I think such details are important). You suggested that it doesn't come in grades of coarseness - then suggested that I was thinking about something that I wasn't - and then I showed you proof that emery does indeed come in a range of grades.

How do you remember the conversation going?

Sorry everyone else if this is getting boring.

Zoiders

You posted: .... Needle file and some emery paper.

To which I replied: Needle file? Really? And what grade of emery?

To which you responded: 'Emery paper is emery paper, also known as J-cloth or wet and dry depending if it comes on a thin roll or in sheets, it doesn't come in coarse grits, you are thinking of aluminium oxide paper which is not the same thing so learn your abrasives before you comment'.

To which I replied: Wrong.

http://www.suttontoo...Papers_325.html

It seems to me that I asked you to clarify what grade of emery you were recommending (because I think such details are important). You suggested that it doesn't come in grades of coarseness - then suggested that I was thinking about something that I wasn't - and then I showed you proof that emery does indeed come in a range of grades.

How do you remember the conversation going?

Sorry everyone else if this is getting boring.
You are quoting brand names and it means naff all. Emery/J cloth, wet and dry, all brand names and interchangable, I also credited the OP with the intelligence to not go too fine, it's hard to go too coarse with emery is they dont manufacture it in extremely coarse grits.

And a needle file is needle file unless you are looking for some very fine diamond abrasive version.

Now get over yourself and go away you tiresome little man, unless you have more stuff you want to google.

Zoiders

Mickle has had a sad on ever since I questioned why people were being told WD40 was evil. I wasn't nasty about it but he took offence big time.

Ever since it's just been this non stop bullshit, he needs to grow up.

Top Bottom