MTB rebuild

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Rugger anyone ? :biggrin:

biggrin.gif

KenG

Id keep it original as possible, my 1995 Kona Hahanna is a pleasure to ride.
I recently rebuilt it and gained a lot of pleasure sourcing original parts, which are still available if your prepared to search, it has been used for a month now as my work bike and still feels as good as the day i bought it ( Sunset MTB's 1995).
Rebuild it, ride it, love it but most of all keep it!
Here it is before the rebuild -

Hahanna compressed.JPG

BenDeason

I recently finished a similar project with an old kona frame too only i opted for more modern parts. not to everyones taste im sure but here it is
5768990990_a1f39ca844.jpg

Zoiders

Zoiders, you put forward an opinion masquerading as fact. That's why you get peoples backs up.
All I said is watch some US brand frames as they are know to rot out at the seat stay bridge and I have seen that happen enough times to rightly believe that it is because they lack frame saver due to the original marketing and development of them in the US, how that became me being a bad person according to the law of Mickle is beyond me.

The only thing getting your back up is me refusing to suck up to you or mickle.

Like I said - if it gets your back up so much that people refuse to suck up to you or be bullied by you then speak to the mods or find another bogey man because this is not P&L.

All I said is watch some US brand frames as they are know to rot out at the seat stay bridge and I have seen that happen enough times to rightly believe that it is because they lack frame saver due to the original marketing and development of them in the US, how that became me being a bad person according to the law of Mickle is beyond me.

Like I said - if it gets your back up so much that people refuse to suck up to you or be bullied by you then speak to the mods or find another bogey man because this is not P&L.

Get a grip. You presented assumption as fact - I pulled you up on it and you got your knickers in a twist. It's not about 'a refusal to suck up' (how old are you?) or bullying (ffs). It's about truth.

The moment it dawns on one that one is alone in arguing one's side, and 'everyone else's' opinion differs is the moment one should consider looking inside oneself at the possibility that one might, actually, be wrong.

The US, Taiwan, France, Britain or Timbuk****ingtu. The use or otherwise of frame saver had nothing and has nothing to do with where the frame was designed, where it was built, where it sold or where it was 'marketed and developed'. As the tubes of my Uncle's early nineties Paskley Moulton will testify.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
+1
Get a grip. You presented assumption as fact - I pulled you up on it and you got your knickers in a twist. It's not about 'a refusal to suck up' (how old are you?) or bullying (ffs). It's about truth.

The moment it dawns on one that one is alone in arguing one's side, and 'everyone else's' opinion differs is the moment one should consider looking inside oneself at the possibility that one might, actually, be wrong.

The US, Taiwan, France, Britain or Timbuk****ingtu. The use or otherwise of frame saver had nothing and has nothing to do with where the frame was designed, where it was built, where it sold or where it was 'marketed and developed'. As the tubes of my Uncle's early nineties Paskley Moulton will testify.

hotmetal

Ignoring the flame war, and just to add my twopennorth to the actual topic at hand, I just want to say that I 'upgraded' my 1988 Cannondale to having RockShox at some point in the mid nineties. Now, with the benefit of a) hindsight, b) nostalgia and c) a proper modern mountainbike, I wish I had kept the old 'Dale fully original. I actually only use it on road now, as a hack, and wish I had the original rigid fork. I stupidly 'lent' it to a mate who stuck it on some execrable POS and then probably chucked the whole lot in a skip. I definitely reckon the OP should save his money to get a modern bike where the wheels and frame are made for modern brakes and forks, and preserve the old bike as a piece of history.

KenG

Ignoring the flame war, and just to add my twopennorth to the actual topic at hand, I just want to say that I 'upgraded' my 1988 Cannondale to having RockShox at some point in the mid nineties. Now, with the benefit of a) hindsight, b) nostalgia and c) a proper modern mountainbike, I wish I had kept the old 'Dale fully original. I actually only use it on road now, as a hack, and wish I had the original rigid fork. I stupidly 'lent' it to a mate who stuck it on some execrable POS and then probably chucked the whole lot in a skip. I definitely reckon the OP should save his money to get a modern bike where the wheels and frame are made for modern brakes and forks, and preserve the old bike as a piece of history.

I totally agree!
:thumbsup:

U

User482

And equally, I've seen enough old American MTBs in perfect health to know that they're no more susceptible to rust than any other country's brand.

So where does that leave us? It confirms that the plural of anecdote is not evidence.

I shan't dignify the rest of your little rant with a response, except to say that if you will insist on putting misinformation into the public domain, don't start crying to mummy when you get pulled up on it.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Well said :smile:
And equally, I've seen enough old American MTBs in perfect health to know that they're no more susceptible to rust than any other country's brand.

So where does that leave us? It confirms that the plural of anecdote is not evidence.

I shan't dignify the rest of your little rant with a response, except to say that if you will insist on putting misinformation into the public domain, don't start crying to mummy when you get pulled up on it.

Muddy Ground

When I got my Orange Clockwork in 1995 the first thing I did was to fill the tubes with Waxoil. Wouldn't do that now; it added 400g to the frame. When people like On-One do steel frames for under £200, one senses that these things are throw away items. I think people like Ragely coat theirs, but then they are twice the price of the On-One variants so worth the effort.

You've got to remember that most bikes are made to a cost and so there will always be shortcuts taken. A manufacturer quite rightly isn't going to invest in rust proofing frames that have a relatively short lifespan anyway. So a few enthusiasts keep their bikes going? Big deal. I'm guessing if those enthusiasts kept the brand going [Cotic, Ragley etc.] through re-use and re-invention of old frames, then the manufacturer will make sure that the frames last - one day us eBay addicts may well buy new from them. But if you're a Specialized or Kona, and people only ever buy into the brand from new, and then the bikes slide into oblivion, then why bother looking after the used guys? They're marginal to the business at best.

All steel rusts. Life sucks. Move on.

MG

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
Just a quick postscript: Edmund has now had a full service, including new brake pads and cable replacement. He's running sweet as a nut, and is as much fun as ever.

Thanks to all for their encouragement to keep him as Specialized intended, and as suggested by others, I am indeed saving up for a modern MTB to add to the stable.

Top Bottom