MTB sand tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rafiki

Retired Brit living in Spain
Which tyres should I fit on my MTB for riding on loose, deepish, dry sand? There are a couple of great routes around that have long sections of the granular stuff. My Schwalbe Hurricanes really aren't up to it. :blush:

How about one of these? But seriously, being 26x3.7 doubt they would fit your frame, unless you have a surly pugsley of course. They are designed for sand/snow so a similar tread pattern and the widest rubber you can get in your frame may help and run at low pressures to increase the footprint.

Bigtwin

There's a lot of sand around here, and I find Maxxis 2.5 Hookworms do very well. I think basically as fat as your frame/forks can take.

OP
OP
rafiki

rafiki

Bigtwin said:
There's a lot of sand around here, and I find Maxxis 2.5 Hookworms do very well. I think basically as fat as your frame/forks can take.
My frame/forks can handle up to 2.5 ok. When I looked up Hookworms I expected a knobbly but I see they are slick! Will they grip deeper loose sand?

Bigtwin

rafiki said:
My frame/forks can handle up to 2.5 ok. When I looked up Hookworms I expected a knobbly but I see they are slick! Will they grip deeper loose sand?

They aren't actually slick, but have a groove pattern on the outers, and a finer stipply tread in the centres.

I find they are fine in sand even for climbing - the trick is not too run them at too hight a pressure. I find they seem to throw the sand about a lot less than knobblies. I guess it's the same principle as pushing a smooth stick into thick sand - friction soon stops you pusing. The nice thing about them is you get reasonable rolling resistance when you are out of the sand.

Bigtwin

montage said:
eewwww.....cleaning chainset and cassette after riding in the sand?

No thanks!

That's the good bit. It the sound of sandy grinding paste against your rims/discs that really cheers you up.

OP
OP
rafiki

rafiki

montage said:
eewwww.....cleaning chainset and cassette after riding in the sand?

No thanks!

;) My Rohloff hub takes all that and more no probs..... a quick hose down afterwards and ready to go again.

willem

Über Member
60 mm Schwalbe Big Apple seems to be the tyre of choice for beach races. Schwalbe even made a special ultralight Super MOTO version for that purpose (but the Super Moto is fragile).
Willem

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Rode the SMGTe across a beach once (shortcut gone wrong). Marathon racers front and rear. Grip was reasonable, provided I kept above 10 mph. Once I dipped below the threshold, the front started digging in and the back began to slip around. Never dropped out from under me, but did get real hard to balance. Ended up heading out into the wet stuff, as that at least behaved consistently.

Was hard going, and not something I'd look to factor in regularly.

Top Bottom