mtb shifters vs sti shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Is there a difference in cable pull between the two shifter types. Both being shimano

Or will i need to change my 105 front mech and rear derrauiler

Thanks

Bodhbh

Guru
Is there a difference in cable pull between the two shifter types. Both being shimano

Or will i need to change my 105 front mech and rear derrauiler

Thanks

From memory...the rear mech has the same pull whether road or MTB, with the front the MTB shifters pull more cable.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Just ordered flatbar road shifters

So will be listing a brand new unused set of mtb shifters in the classifieds when they arrive

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
7,8,or 9 speed MTB shifters work a road rear mech.
10 speed MTB shifters only work 10 speed MTB rear mechs.
MTB front shifters only work MTB front mechs IIRC. My flat bar bike runs a single chainring, so I'm not sure about that one!

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
J

jowwy

7,8,or 9 speed MTB shifters work a road rear mech.
10 speed MTB shifters only work 10 speed MTB rear mechs.
MTB front shifters only work MTB front mechs IIRC. My flat bar bike runs a single chainring, so I'm not sure about that one!
i may go single front chainring next year - just need o find a decent priced front chainring ring that will run with hollowtech II

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Distance selling rules mean you could return them for full refund minus shipping.

To make it clearer - the 'minus shipping' only applies to you returning the item. The basic shipping cost you may have paid to receive the goods should also be refunded (but not enhanced shipping like next-day). This is now called 'Consumer Contracts Regulations'

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-contracts-regulations

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
MTB shifters will not work with road front derailleur. You need a shimano front derailleur which model number I cannot remember right now although I have a new one at home.....

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've had a road double front mech working with a gripshifter. It relied on the lower screw on the mech setting one end, and the cable pull setting the other. Very sensitive to cable tension. A non indexed front shifter would work, if such a thing exists these days. My flat bar bike has a 36T inner ring mounted as the outer using shorter bolts, and a 12-32 7 speed cassette. I run out of gears at about 30 mph, which is a problem I can live with.
Most things can be made to work, after a fashion and for various values of "work'...

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Decided to go with a 1 x 10 set up now. So fully stripped the bike of triple running gear ( now forsale in classifieds) so the front mech issues are no longer a problem :smile:

Thanks all for your responses

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A non indexed front shifter would work, if such a thing exists these days.
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-600ex-down-tube-shifters-friction-clip-on-pair-prod35514/ and there are many many more, but not all so dribblingly delicious.
shimano-600ex-down-tube-shifters-friction-clip-on-pair-IMG35514.jpg

Top Bottom