MTB shoes and SPD pedals- advice please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim330

I'm thinking of changing the flat standard pedals on my bike, to ones where I could wear a cycling shoe and clip in on one side, with the other side flat so I could still use normal shoes. I've seen a few comments on the pros and cons here, but I'm not clear on the terminology and could do with some recommendations. What makes do you like?

Reasons why? I've skinned my shins too many times now. Also looking for a slightly more water resistant shoe than the pair of trainers I normally use - these make a long flat trail ride a bit miserable once they get wet.
As I mainly ride long, flatter trails, rather than serious up and down stuff, being able to clip in would help I think.
I'm also on a budget, so cheap and cheerful, rather than top of the line. If I can use the Halfords discount card, so much the better!

I have Boardman Hybrid Team pedals on one bike and Shimano combi pedals on another, and much prefer the Boardmans - partly because for a similar level of clip-in tension they feel much smoother and partly because they look better and I'm a tart! ^_^

Jason

Shimano M324 Combination Pedals are what your looking for. One side is SPD clipless and the other is flat. Only issue I found was the flat side would be face up from the lights and I had to flip it,to engage the clipless side once moving and away from traffic. This got annoying and eventually switched to PD-M520 pedals.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I have Boardman Hybrid Team pedals on one bike and Shimano combi pedals on another, and much prefer the Boardmans - partly because for a similar level of clip-in tension they feel much smoother and partly because they look better and I'm a tart! ^_^

Me too on my commuter.
Super pedals at an ok price.

MikeG

Guru
Those combination pedals are a nice way in to the world of SPD clips, but I don't know anyone who stuck with them long. Once you are used to clipping in, people abandon the flat side of the pedal.

There are loads of choices for MTB shoes with SPDs, and you can get something that's perfectly good for £25 if you keep your eyes open. The great thing about them is that wearing them you can walk into a cafe or B&B reception area, or wherever, perfectly well.

D

Deleted member 26715

I rode my road bike clipless & went straight to clipless on the MTB with PD-M520 pedals but after a few offs because I couldn't get my feet out I've now fitted the M324's not been out with them yet so this is a bit of a worthless post :biggrin:

Jody

Stubborn git
@MikeG Has some sound advice. Skip the hybrid pedal and go straight for some M520's. Halfords have them on for £19.99 and then you get another 10% off with a BC card. The soles on SPD shoes dont really lend them selves to flat pedals so you might as well save your money and bite the bullet.

Don't scrimp on shoes as they last a long time and the comfort for distance is worth it.

OP
OP
Tim330

Tim330

Well, I had the idea that with a flat side to the pedal I can still use them if I don't have shoes handy.

vickster

Legendary Member
Well, I had the idea that with a flat side to the pedal I can still use them if I don't have shoes handy.
You can but they are a compromise then both as a flat pedal or clipless. M324 or a Wellgo equivalent worth a look, get used to flipping the pedal to clip in though

OP
OP
Tim330

Tim330

Think the M324 could be the way to go. Large flat base on one side, and I was never bothered about flipping pedals when I used to road cycle with the oldfashioned toeclips.

FishFright

More wheels than sense

Go for the combo pedals if it suits. I have a set on my around town single speed for that exact same reason and it works very well.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Think the M324 could be the way to go. Large flat base on one side, and I was never bothered about flipping pedals when I used to road cycle with the oldfashioned toeclips.
The technique to 'flipping' them is very similar, the clip hangs down when stationary but when pedalling it wants to be on the outside so removing your foot from the flat side at the bottom of the stroke means that once the pedal is near the top it's now clip uppermost ready to clip in.
Likewise if you unclip and don't pedal the weight of the clip hangs down presenting the flat side uppermost (useful at low speed in traffic when you might need a 'dab' at any moment)

Top Bottom