MTB shoes and SPD pedals- advice please!

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking, Trials and BMX' started by Tim330, 6 Nov 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tim330

Tim330 Active Member

I'm thinking of changing the flat standard pedals on my bike, to ones where I could wear a cycling shoe and clip in on one side, with the other side flat so I could still use normal shoes. I've seen a few comments on the pros and cons here, but I'm not clear on the terminology and could do with some recommendations. What makes do you like?

Reasons why? I've skinned my shins too many times now. Also looking for a slightly more water resistant shoe than the pair of trainers I normally use - these make a long flat trail ride a bit miserable once they get wet.
    As I mainly ride long, flatter trails, rather than serious up and down stuff, being able to clip in would help I think.
    I'm also on a budget, so cheap and cheerful, rather than top of the line. If I can use the Halfords discount card, so much the better!

2. Specialeyes

Specialeyes Über Member

I have Boardman Hybrid Team pedals on one bike and Shimano combi pedals on another, and much prefer the Boardmans - partly because for a similar level of clip-in tension they feel much smoother and partly because they look better and I'm a tart! ^_^

meta lon likes this.
  3. Jason

Jason Senior Member

Shimano M324 Combination Pedals are what your looking for. One side is SPD clipless and the other is flat. Only issue I found was the flat side would be face up from the lights and I had to flip it,to engage the clipless side once moving and away from traffic. This got annoying and eventually switched to PD-M520 pedals.

NickNick likes this.
  4. meta lon

meta lon Guru

Me too on my commuter.
    Super pedals at an ok price.

5. MikeG

MikeG Veteran

Those combination pedals are a nice way in to the world of SPD clips, but I don't know anyone who stuck with them long. Once you are used to clipping in, people abandon the flat side of the pedal.

There are loads of choices for MTB shoes with SPDs, and you can get something that's perfectly good for £25 if you keep your eyes open. The great thing about them is that wearing them you can walk into a cafe or B&B reception area, or wherever, perfectly well.

6. Phaeton

Phaeton Veteran

I rode my road bike clipless & went straight to clipless on the MTB with PD-M520 pedals but after a few offs because I couldn't get my feet out I've now fitted the M324's not been out with them yet so this is a bit of a worthless post :biggrin:

7. Jody

Jody Über legend of a forum GOD!

@MikeG Has some sound advice. Skip the hybrid pedal and go straight for some M520's. Halfords have them on for £19.99 and then you get another 10% off with a BC card. The soles on SPD shoes dont really lend them selves to flat pedals so you might as well save your money and bite the bullet.

Don't scrimp on shoes as they last a long time and the comfort for distance is worth it.

8. OP
    OP
    Tim330

Tim330 Active Member

Well, I had the idea that with a flat side to the pedal I can still use them if I don't have shoes handy.

9. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

You can but they are a compromise then both as a flat pedal or clipless. M324 or a Wellgo equivalent worth a look, get used to flipping the pedal to clip in though

10. Specialeyes

Specialeyes Über Member

Clip-in side for the commute to work, flat side for the lunchtime trip into town to buy a sticky bun ^_^

dave r likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    Tim330

Tim330 Active Member

Think the M324 could be the way to go. Large flat base on one side, and I was never bothered about flipping pedals when I used to road cycle with the oldfashioned toeclips.

Jason and raleighnut like this.
  12. FishFright

FishFright More wheels than sense

Go for the combo pedals if it suits. I have a set on my around town single speed for that exact same reason and it works very well.

User231 likes this.
  13. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

The technique to 'flipping' them is very similar, the clip hangs down when stationary but when pedalling it wants to be on the outside so removing your foot from the flat side at the bottom of the stroke means that once the pedal is near the top it's now clip uppermost ready to clip in.
    Likewise if you unclip and don't pedal the weight of the clip hangs down presenting the flat side uppermost (useful at low speed in traffic when you might need a 'dab' at any moment)

14. OP
    OP
    Tim330

Tim330 Active Member

Any recommendations for shoes? I guess the clip in method is the same on all brands?

15. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

2 bolt type for SPD
    SPD-SL, Look etc use a 3 bolt pattern that's not compatible but you can get shoes with 5 holes to suit both.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice