MTB.. Shorts/Saddle Questions..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boon 51

Veteran
I should be picking up my new mtb today so it wont be long before I have a rideout..
The gear I have is for a road bike but I noticed most people on mtb use baggies but I cant find any with padding like you get with bib/shorts..
So what do you use.
Plus what is the best saddle to use for general mtb riding bearing in mind I'm just doing the normal trail stuff and not racing around..

I did try a search but not a lot came up..

Cheers.

When I rode MTB's I used to just wear padded shorts underneath baggies, (because I happened to have both), but you can of course just wear what you've got, there is no law governing this ^_^

As for saddles, a more personal question you couldn't ask. I'm sure you've discovered from your road bike that one man's armchair is another man's torture device.

That said, the Charge Spoon is often championed by riders on all sides.

In balance though, I don't like them. I find them OK for short pootles, but a little too wide for a 'proper' ride.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
When I rode MTB's I used to just wear padded shorts underneath baggies, (because I happened to have both), but you can of course just wear what you've got, there is no law governing this ^_^

As for saddles, a more personal question you couldn't ask. I'm sure you've discovered from your road bike that one man's armchair is another man's torture device.

That said, the Charge Spoon is often championed by riders on all sides.

In balance though, I don't like them. I find them OK for short pootles, but a little too wide for a 'proper' ride.

Not unless the saddle is comfy I cant see me riding too far without some sort of padded shorts.. I also think I might have to have two lots of stuff.. one summer and one winter..
Oh.. dam............ more new gear.. :eek:

lulubel

Über Member
The gear I have is for a road bike but I noticed most people on mtb use baggies but I cant find any with padding like you get with bib/shorts..

Surely you don't mean the Spanish? The vast majority of MTBers round here wear lycra. If you see someone in baggies, they stick out like a sore thumb.

02GF74

Über Member
baggies are a fashion thing dreamt up by the cycle clothing industry. road shorts are perfectly adequate.

you can quite happily use road bike saddle on an mtb - just find one that you like and fit to all your bikes - difficult to recommend one as everyone's bottom has it's own opinion.

Motozulu

Über Member
For what it's worth I wear Enduro Humvee baggies - detachable padded inner. Brilliant bit of kit with zippable vents for the summer and pretty water resistant too.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Surely you don't mean the Spanish? The vast majority of MTBers round here wear lycra. If you see someone in baggies, they stick out like a sore thumb.

I've never took too much notice till now but with the winter weather most of the Spanish have leggings of some sort on up here.. can't remember what they were wearing when its summer time.
You got me thinking now.. :smile:

Motozulu

Über Member
Must admit in Spain and the heat you have the baggies may be a bit too heavyweight - not a fan of lycra (well, not on blokes anyway :shy:) but then I don't have to ride in 40 degrees of heat.

HovR

Über Member
On the MTB I tend to wear a padded road garment (longs, three quarter lengths) under my baggies which I find comfortable enough. Not sure I'd want to be wearing baggies in the summer heat of Spain though, so just wear whatever you find comfortable.

Motozulu

Über Member
That's fine Sat - each to their own and if you are comfortable great. I like the baggies endless supply of pockets/phone carrying potential etc plus I must admit to feeling a bit self conscious about wearing 'here's me tackle, I'm following on behind' gear. ^_^

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Thats something to think about.. (three quarter lenth longs padded) that could be the answer.
Another reason I'm asking is.
With the normal lycra or baggie shorts in the summer you will end up with a taxi drivers elbow.. (if you know what I mean) and thats really naff..

Top Bottom