MTB.. Shorts/Saddle Questions..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Motozulu

Über Member
Boon maybe you could get a lighter short than my Humvee's which are quite heavy. I can't imagine trying to ride in Spanish heat in three quarters I must amit - I'd have thought lycra is your best bet after all, tbh.

lulubel

Über Member
I've never took too much notice till now but with the winter weather most of the Spanish have leggings of some sort on up here.. can't remember what they were wearing when its summer time.
You got me thinking now.. :smile:

If they were going to wear baggies, I'd have thought they'd probably wear them over the lycra tights in winter. Most people around here (including me) wear tights at this time of year.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Boon maybe you could get a lighter short than my Humvee's which are quite heavy. I can't imagine trying to ride in Spanish heat in three quarters I must amit - I'd have thought lycra is your best bet after all, tbh.

You could well be right you dont want anything too heavy..

I might be making hard work of this when the road gear I have aint too bad really, but being new to this I didn't start riding till the end of this summer in October and I've not rode all summer with bare legs in 40c heat.
I suppose another pair of bib/shorts won't go amiss though..

lulubel

Über Member
YI might be making hard work of this when the road gear I have aint too bad really, but being new to this I didn't start riding till the end of this summer in October and I've not rode all summer with bare legs in 40c heat.

You have all that to look forward to, then. Out early, back early is the key.

lulubel

Über Member
Sorry, I forgot to answer your other question. If you really like the saddle on your road bike, try it on you MTB. If you still really like it on the MTB, get one the same. That's what I did!

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
You have all that to look forward to, then. Out early, back early is the key.

I dont mind the heat too much as I used to ride my 450 off roader all day long, but I have a thing about looking like a bar code with all different shades of brown..
Thats vanity for you... :biggrin:

PS.. Might be able to have a ride out at some time in the spring as I could my chuck my bike in the back of the car and have a wander down your way..

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Sorry, I forgot to answer your other question. If you really like the saddle on your road bike, try it on you MTB. If you still really like it on the MTB, get one the same. That's what I did!

I dont intend to race anywhere so I might look for a softer saddle if this one is a tad on the hard side..

Cubist

Still wavin'
Have a look at a WTB Rocket V or Race V. Lovely saddles.

I wear lycra bibshorts under MTB baggies. I like my Endura Humvees... pocketses for my precious things. Although in high summer I just wear bibshorts. Windproof tights if it's less than 5/6 degrees.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
I sometimes wear padded shorts under baggies in the winter because it takes longer for the rain/spray to soak through the pad. It's no fun once the pad gets saturated though. For most MTB rides 'civilian' boxers (provided they don't have lumpy or badly sewn seams) and baggies are fine. As far as saddles are concerned the Charge Spoon/Madison Flux is comfortable for 120+ miles and I rarely ride further than that.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Have a look at a WTB Rocket V or Race V. Lovely saddles.

I wear lycra bibshorts under MTB baggies. I like my Endura Humvees... pocketses for my precious things. Although in high summer I just wear bibshorts. Windproof tights if it's less than 5/6 degrees.

Decathlon will have sales on next week so the Windproof tights could be a go-go..

lulubel

Über Member
PS.. Might be able to have a ride out at some time in the spring as I could my chuck my bike in the back of the car and have a wander down your way..

Sorry, I missed this.

Yes, it sounds like a great idea. It would be nice to have some English-speaking company, rather than the Spanish men who seem to attach themselves to me on some of my rides!

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
First ride on the mtb..

Went out for a ride on my road bike first and did 55km, as I made good time I decided to try my mtb out for the first time..
I didn't go far (10kms) and I stayed on the tarmac but just wanted to ride it to get the feel, but I have to say I'm not impressed with the saddle.
I do know that its a new bike but the saddle is harder than my road bike and I thought a mtb would have a softer saddle?
I would of said something in the bike shop but its difficult to tell how hard the saddle when your sat in a show room..
Not sure what to do..

Top Bottom