MTB.. Shorts/Saddle Questions..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lulubel

Über Member
I didn't go far (10kms) and I stayed on the tarmac but just wanted to ride it to get the feel, but I have to say I'm not impressed with the saddle.
I do know that its a new bike but the saddle is harder than my road bike and I thought a mtb would have a softer saddle?
I would of said something in the bike shop but its difficult to tell how hard the saddle when your sat in a show room..
Not sure what to do..

Both our bikes came with saddles that we didn't like the look of at all. We both use saddles with the cutout, and neither of these had one. They were just flat, without really any shaping at all. (I don't know if this is common for the saddles they put on MTBs.)

Anyway, I put the saddle from my road bike on mine, and bought a new (identical) one for the road bike. My OH had a spare saddle the same as on her road bike, which had originally belonged on my Trek, so she put that on her MTB. We never tried the saddles they came with at all.

To be honest, knowing what I do now, I'll never take any notice of the saddle if I'm buying a new bike, because I assume I'll never use it.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
If your baggies are very baggy then just be careful you don't get the back of them caught on the front of your saddle when pushing back on the seat, otherwise you will show the world what you have to offer, and if you have a spray of brown mud up your back at the time of aforementioned accidental offering you'll be quite unlikely to find anyone giving enthusiastic reviews of your goods....

...a friend told me...

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Both our bikes came with saddles that we didn't like the look of at all. We both use saddles with the cutout, and neither of these had one. They were just flat, without really any shaping at all. (I don't know if this is common for the saddles they put on MTBs.)

Anyway, I put the saddle from my road bike on mine, and bought a new (identical) one for the road bike. My OH had a spare saddle the same as on her road bike, which had originally belonged on my Trek, so she put that on her MTB. We never tried the saddles they came with at all.

To be honest, knowing what I do now, I'll never take any notice of the saddle if I'm buying a new bike, because I assume I'll never use it.

I might be worth a phone call to the Trek shop and ask if they would change it for a slightly softer saddle..

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
That
Sorry, I forgot to answer your other question. If you really like the saddle on your road bike, try it on you MTB. If you still really like it on the MTB, get one the same. That's what I did!

It could end up like that, but I want to try just a little softer mtb saddle first..

Motozulu

Über Member
Just mince about with the seat angle until it feels 'right'. Can't give any more scientific info than that - soz.

I found with it tipped too far back I was getting tingling or numbness - too far forward and I'm pushing back all the time. You'll know when it's right for you.

lulubel

Über Member
I find I'm comfortable on the MTB with the nose slightly higher than on the road bike, presumably because of the more upright riding position when you're in the saddle.

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Just tipped the saddle forward and its miles better need to set the seat hight and adjust the saddle again if I need too.. but I'm getting the idea of whats needed and I'm heading the right way..

OP
OP
Boon 51

Boon 51

Veteran
Question..

On my saddle adjuster there is 2 allen/bolts which when the seat was level had equall thread showing each side but now I have lowerd the front of the saddle there is more thread showing on one side..( the side I lowered) is this OK or should I fiddle with it till both thread are nearer the same lenth again..

Cubist

Still wavin'
Question..

On my saddle adjuster there is 2 allen/bolts which when the seat was level had equall thread showing each side but now I have lowerd the front of the saddle there is more thread showing on one side..( the side I lowered) is this OK or should I fiddle with it till both thread are nearer the same lenth again..
That's how the adjusters work, so you would expect more thread on the one you've shortened.

Top Bottom