MTB sizes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I’ve a 1990 Muddy Fox Pathfinder Tange frameset in 22” doing not much if that’s of interest? It’s solid but the paint isn’t brilliant. I used it to commute until I swapped to. 20” because the 22” was slight too big for me.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Thanks for that. Has cleared up a lot of the mystery for me. I guess with later bikes with sloping top tubes I would need to be going for the biggest possible.

Essentially the only geometry difference between the two sizes of MTB I posted up, is the 21" version has a slightly sloping Top Tube (not that obvious from the picture, but sideways-on you can see it better), whereas the 23" is dead level. Both bikes have 23 1/4" Top Tube centres, so have the same upper body fit, but the larger one will allow a higher saddle for a given length of seatpost. The 23" is possibly a slightly more flexible and comfortable frame, but both very similar overall. The black one was offered FOC, the multicolour owes me £20. A lot of bike for not a lot of cash.

OP
OP
stalagmike

stalagmike

Enormous member
I’ve a 1990 Muddy Fox Pathfinder Tange frameset in 22” doing not much if that’s of interest? It’s solid but the paint isn’t brilliant. I used it to commute until I swapped to. 20” because the 22” was slight too big for me.

Like this one? Yes, I could be interested in that. I'm looking for something to commute on, so sounds ideal. Is it just the frameset that you've got available? More importantly, whereabouts are you and what would you want for it?

img012.jpg

KneesUp

Guru
441ACDF4-EEC4-400F-8392-F82A61BD1337.jpeg It’s exaxtly that one. As shown in drop bar do it all mode. Possibly got the original stem and original wheels (couple of spokes gone on rear) too. I know where the frameset and seatpost is. Still has the MF headset iirc. I’m in Sheffield. Is that any good before I see what parts I can turn up?

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
What would be the minimum size would you say, for gentlemen of our kind of proportions?

You mean us manly men? ;)

Leaving aside variances between manufacturers, I'd say 20" inch is the minimum comfortable size, 19" the absolute minimum sensible size. Sure, I could ride a 16" bike, bur not for very long.

OP
OP
stalagmike

stalagmike

Enormous member
View attachment 456736 It’s exaxtly that one. As shown in drop bar do it all mode. Possibly got the original stem and original wheels (couple of spokes gone on rear) too. I know where the frameset and seatpost is. Still has the MF headset iirc. I’m in Sheffield. Is that any good before I see what parts I can turn up?
Bit far from me down here in MK. Thanks for the offer but I'm gonna pass I think. You have inspired me though. I like the idea of creating a drop bar do it all bike from one of these MTB frames.

KneesUp

Guru
Bit far from me down here in MK. Thanks for the offer but I'm gonna pass I think. You have inspired me though. I like the idea of creating a drop bar do it all bike from one of these MTB frames.
They are great fun, and very useful - perfect for commuting because you don't need to worry about potholes or jumping the off kerb. And they're not that attractive to thieves.

OP
OP
stalagmike

stalagmike

Enormous member
Well i have enquired about 4 bikes since Friday and only 1 seller has replied , so why put a bike up for sale then not bother answering enquiries

@stalagmike have you seen the large MBK mtb on Facebook market place in Northampton ?
I haven't, but I'll seek it out. Thanks.

OP
OP
stalagmike

stalagmike

Enormous member
Looking quite closely at this one too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333109337754

It's very near me and looks like a quality frame, but needs a bit of cleaning up. Can't work out if it'll fit me though. The seller has measured the top-tube for me and it's just over 20 inches. But the 90s catalogue says the top tubes are:

Frame size 16 - top tube 538 (mm)
17.5 - 560
18.5 - 577
19.5 - 590
21 - 602

20 inches is only 508mm, or am I missing something here?

KneesUp

Guru
That looks small to me - I have a 20" Muddy Fox (1989) and a 22" (1990) and the way you can tell is the gap between the crossbar (top tube) and the down tube when they meet at the head tube. The gap on the bike on eBay suggests to be that it's a 20" frame i.e. the seat tube is 20" - which is what I suspect the seller has measured. The catalogue measurements are for the crossbar/top tube, so are longer.

OP
OP
stalagmike

stalagmike

Enormous member
Well i have enquired about 4 bikes since Friday and only 1 seller has replied , so why put a bike up for sale then not bother answering enquiries

@stalagmike have you seen the large MBK mtb on Facebook market place in Northampton ?

Can't seem to find the MBK you speak of. Maybe it's been sold or listing ended. Can you still see it?

OP
OP
stalagmike

stalagmike

Enormous member
That looks small to me - I have a 20" Muddy Fox (1989) and a 22" (1990) and the way you can tell is the gap between the crossbar (top tube) and the down tube when they meet at the head tube. The gap on the bike on eBay suggests to be that it's a 20" frame i.e. the seat tube is 20" - which is what I suspect the seller has measured. The catalogue measurements are for the crossbar/top tube, so are longer.

They have it listed as 'large' which would make sense if it's the 19.5 inch model.

Top Bottom