MTB Tyre Change Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AliShah2020

Hi all,

I am new to changing tyres, this will be my first time.

I currently have WTB Trail Boss on my MTB. I wanted to change to faster urban road tyres. Can I reuse the inner tube, or do I need to replace it please?

My current tyres are a 27.5 (650b):

1595103134551.png

I intend to change to WTB Thickslick:
1595103191933.png

I am hoping it will be a straight swap and allow me to reuse the inner tube?:bicycle:

Many thanks for your help! :okay:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd get narrower tubes to make fitting easier.

fossyant

The tyres will have a fair amount less volume. Depending upon the time in the tyre, the tube may have stretched a bit, so might be a bit bigger than you want, but if still newish they should still fit OK as most tubes are 1.9 to 2.3 fitting in that size.

Use talc on your tubes to refit.

Only advising narrower tubes if you are new to tyre fitting.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I always try to err on the side of fitting a larger, thicker inner tube as logically a less stretched tube is more likely to resist punctures and pinch flats. Not sure if this is true but it makes sense in my head.... :okay:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I always try to err on the side of fitting a narrower inner tube as the slightly inflated narrower tube makes fitting easier and makes no difference to puncture resistance or pinch flats.
In the OP's case I'd just use the current tubes (their size (width range) will likely be shown on the tube). The tube thickness will be 15% thicker (in the 1.95 as opposed to the 2.25 tyre).
This is an example: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-quality-650b-mtb-inner-tube/?
which suggests a 1.75 - 2.4 range of tyre width.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AliShah2020

AliShah2020

Thank you all for your awesome thinking and responses.:okay:

fossyant

Don't forget to talc the inside of the new tyre, and the tube. Makes life so much easier fitting and the tube and tyre won't stick and will go on the rim easier. Bit messy, but it works.

Top Bottom