MTB vs road clothes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
If you are into both road and and mountain biking, do you have separate kit?

For example, i only have road kit and i wear that when road riding or mtb'ing. Is there some advantage to having specific MTB kit that makes it better for MTB'ing?

But the same is not true the other way round..thus, i would not want tk wear baggy mtb kit on my road bike unless i was pottering about.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mix and match a bit. Always wear baggy shorts over bib shorts or bib tights. I've some looser fitting MTB tops, but a road top will be fine, and I mix and match as well. Baggy shorts just give you somewhere to pop a snack, or phone (would not advise - many do) and the shorts are a bit more hard wearing when you come off - lycra will just hole - saves your decent bibs.

I do have a backpack for pump etc, mainly doubles as back protection (and to tuck the phone away safely)! Oh and different helmets. I've a couple of Planet X trail lids (more rear protection) and some road specific lids. Only difference is the peak that reduces mud splash.

I've got different shoes though, although you don't have to if running SPD. Look Delta on my road bikes.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I do have separate kit although sometimes the road stuff will get used on gravel and MTB, usually bibs as an under-layer for MTB. My road jerseys are not a race fit anyway so often get used universally. I have a couple of baggier MTB jerseys that generally stay on the MTB, mostly because they have no kidney pockets.

MTB shorts, hiking top and hiking trainers. I guess I'm not a real cyclist without the specific kit but who cares if I'm comfortable.

PS I don't wear padded shorts, I don't like them and never felt I needed them.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Depends what type of MTB riding I am doing. When I have raced xc I have worn road kit apart from shoes. At a trail centre or out in the hills I wear baggy shorts and relatively loose upper half kit with bib shorts underneath. On the road bike road kit. On the CX bike it depends but will wear more relaxed kit than on the road bike.

Mtb kit you won’t stand out when you stop for a pint. Road kit you’ll be a figure of amusement in a pub.

You and I must frequent very different pubs 😂

scragend

I wear bib shorts but other than that I don't wear road gear. Tend to wear running tops or maybe a technical polo shirt so reasonably slim fitting but not a cycling top as such. Over the bib shorts I wear either running shorts or MTB shorts if they're not too long or baggy. Currently wearing (literally - just got in from work) a TCA running top from Amazon and Rockrider ST 100 shorts from Decathlon. The shorts are a bit tight to get on but once they're on they're fine. They do have a bit of a pad so I'm double padded but that suits me ^_^

I don't do mountain biking but if I did I'd probably wear the same stuff.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I only own lycra kit so just wear that whatever I'm riding, not shy of waist shorts/tri shorts and a t shirt if I'm just being utilitarian (collecting my van/riding to gym or something)

Venod

Eh up
I wear mainly road gear on and off road, I do have some MTB shorts that I sometimes wear for the pockets on the MTB, they have the advantage of being tougher than lycra so not as easily damaged, I wear road helmets on both, I do use a small camelback for hydration, cant do with drinking from dirty bottles, I have fallen out with the larger backpacks, preferring to carry tools etc on the bike.

Top Bottom