Muc off brushes say ANY brush can lead to surface scratching

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milena

I bought a set of 5 Muc Off cleaning brushes from Amazon. I live in the UK. I can still return them for a refund if I want to.

Every brush has a label and on the back of each of those labels states.. well I will just attach a photo. It's the NB part that is written on all the labels.

So I tried rubbing the soft wash brush on my bare leg and it is in fact quite abrasive.

Why do Muc Off sell brushes marketed as suitable for frames, given that as they have written themselves, brushes can leave scratches?

- I am thinking of returning these and getting a microfibre sponge in place of the soft brush.
- Dish washing brush for cassette, in place of the 'detailing brush' which btw is very very stiff... so I don't know why they market it as 'detailing' when it is so stiff it should only be used on the cassette, else scratches galore.
- Chain cleaning pig for.. the chain.
- Maybe an alloy cleaning brush or just the separate brush muc off sell for wheels and cassette (weird that they have made a brush that is for wheels and cassette. Cassette brushes tend to be crazy stiff which would scratch anything, whereas wheels and rims need a softer brush to not damage them, especially the rimes/wheels).

Attachments

• MUC OFF TEXT.jpg
    MUC OFF TEXT.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Covering themselves.
I would keep them and see how they do.
You can always wax polish the frame if it goes a bit dull.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The brushes are fine. I've two of the big brushes and a stiffer twin brush that I use on hubs. Even a cloth can scratch paint. The key is to use plenty of soapy water., as you would. I really like the big brush - great for getting into hard to reach areas - no issues with scratched paint work as the bike is cleaned after any wet/damp ride (commuter and weekend bikes).

vickster

Legendary Member
Rinse off as much grit as possible before cleaning and of course keep the brushes clean.
If concerned, just use whatever you are happy with

Dadam

I just use my car cleaning brushes from the days the car got more than 2 washes a year! :laugh:
The Meguiars long handled wheel brush is good for the frame as the "bristles" split into very fine hairs for the tip so it's soft. Also got an alloy wheel spoke brush with two bristled "fingers" in a V which is useful for forks. I have one of the special brushes designed for cassettes but tend to use a piece of rag stretched out and kind of "saw" it into the gaps between the cogs.

I also use the Poorboys slick and suds car shampoo which is excellent as it lubricates the surface so grit slides off without scratching.

Jameshow

Veteran
What I would do it separate the kit into two, 2 for the frame 1 wheels and the smaller 2 for the drive train this stops muck/oil from the wheels / drive train messing up the frame.

Top Bottom