Mud guards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Porsche924

Porsche924

Hi Porsche924. Your Carlton looks very similar to my Claud Butler Majestic and I am in need of a pair of mudguards like the ones you have just bought.
1. Are your wheels 27 x 1 1/4 ?
2. If they are that size could you tell me what make the mudguards are and where they came from please.
Many thanks.

Yes same size wheels. Bought them a local bike shop since shut.

OP
OP
Porsche924

Porsche924

Perhaps the reflector has been put on the wrong end? In a hole that is intended for fixing to the chain stay bridge?

That was the final conclusion I came too. Not finished yet dut have the both roughly in position.

Attachments

• IMG_20220922_123250.jpg
    IMG_20220922_123250.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
Porsche924

Porsche924

All the above (front guard needs to be fitted a lot closer to the tyre - benchmark: can't see through (from the side)).
For the rear, remove the reflector. When fitting to the chainstay bridge, use a nice big washer to spread the load and some thread locker on the bolt. Or if the hole is not tapped, use a nylok nut.
Check you have clearance between tyre and the bolt head, and if tight, use a flat headed or low profile button headed one.

You owe it to yourself and your face to get 'security clips' for the front stays.
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m19b0s190p3559/SKS-Mudguard-Secu-Clips-3-4mm-(pr)
DescriptionSafety clip to allow the release of the front mudguard and prevent the front wheel locking if something jams between mudguard and tyre.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/technical-guide/mudguard-safety

"You wouldn’t think that such inoffensive accessories could be dangerous, but a front mudguard, incorrectly fitted, could possibly kill! There have certainly been serious injuries. Here’s how to prevent them."
View attachment 661887

Thanks. This is where I'm at.

Attachments

• IMG_20220922_123250.jpg
    IMG_20220922_123250.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
Porsche924

Porsche924

Forgot
Shortened the stays to take the guards closer to the wheel. Plan to disassemble and add thread lock to the stays. The problem was the reflector was on the wrong end of the rear mudguard.

Forgot to add pic.

Attachments

• IMG_20220923_124055.jpg
    IMG_20220923_124055.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 4

AndyRM

XOXO
Fab looking bike you've got there.

OP
OP
Porsche924

Porsche924

is the bit circled actually attached to the frame or just resting?

normally it would be clipped or bolted to the bridge where indicated by the arrow.
View attachment 662070

That's just something I put in the hole where the reflector was to keep the end of the guard from flapping around. If I took the guard down to the bridge the other end would be in the wrong position. Too high up the wheel.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
That's just something I put in the hole where the reflector was to keep the end of the guard from flapping around. If I took the guard down to the bridge the other end would be in the wrong position. Too high up the wheel.

Its a lovely bike, it deserves better than some botched up, ill fitting (and dangerous front) mudguards.

Top Bottom