Mud Guards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
My bike is virtually identical to yours (Specialized Alley Elite) with 700c x 28 tyres and I have the same mud guards fitted.
I found that there is another way to adjust these to get them fitting perfect.
The bridging point where the stays goes over the guard allows them to slide along adding that bit more of an adjustment..I had issues with the guards rattling up against the rear brake caliper.Sliding the guards slightly through the bridging point solved it.Ive done around 200 miles on them in the last couple of weeks through some really mucky lanes and they've been absolutely brilliant.The best winter accessory buy you can get in my opinion

OP
OP
Bristolian

Bristolian

My bike is virtually identical to yours (Specialized Alley Elite) with 700c x 28 tyres and I have the same mud guards fitted.
I found that there is another way to adjust these to get them fitting perfect.
The bridging point where the stays goes over the guard allows them to slide along adding that bit more of an adjustment..I had issues with the guards rattling up against the rear brake caliper.Sliding the guards slightly through the bridging point solved it.Ive done around 200 miles on them in the last couple of weeks through some really mucky lanes and they've been absolutely brilliant.The best winter accessory buy you can get in my opinion

Hi Johnnhy, thanks for the comment. I have tried to wedge the rear mudguard under the rear brake calliper, in the hope that it will shield the calliper from some of the muck that will get thrown up, but I doubt it will stay there. I also found the ability to slide the guard through the bridging points quite useful. Do you find that you get much mud or water splash onto the back of the seat tube? I have been looking for ways to protect that and the front derailleur.

The proof of the pudding, as they say, will be in the eating ... tomorrow :smile:

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi @Bristolian
Yes it does get a bit mucky along the bottom section of the seat tube but it's alot better than if it had no guards at all.Saying that though, the lanes I was riding along were literally covered in thick wet mud to the extreme. On just wet roads it did stay relatively clean.The rear brake caliper did stay fairly clean though in all conditions.. As for the rest of the bike they work really well and most importantly they keep the muck well away from the rear seat post mounted light which I feel is good for safety reasons.
I'm confident you will really pleased with them.
I will try and post some pictures if the internet signal lets me.

johnnyb47

Guru
Not the best of pictures but they give you an idea what mine look like

Attachments

• IMG_20231127_220505844.jpg
    IMG_20231127_220505844.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20231127_220603569.jpg
    IMG_20231127_220603569.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20231127_220414514.jpg
    IMG_20231127_220414514.jpg