muddyfox £150 or false economy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That Carrera posted by @cyberknight doesn't look half bad. If you are careful you can get a nice lightweight MTB from the nineties or thereabouts for very little money, just make sure it isn't worn out. There are still some well looked after examples out there. I picked up this Trek composite not so long ago for a song:
image.jpg

Weighs next to nothing and great to ride.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I need a bike that can handle the path and the steps

I may be revealing a sheltered cycling upbringing, but I think riding down steps is asking a lot of any bike, let alone a budget one.

xzenonuk

Veteran
stay away from muddy fox they are just bike shaped objects i know i bought one for 200 earlier in the year and had tons of problems with all the parts.

thankfully got it refunded after 360 miles and most of the time was spent trying to get it to work even when out riding, gears wouldnt shift properly no matter what i did and if i got them working a few miles in they would need adjusted again, cable disc brakes kept misaligning while riding, bottom bracket gave up the ghost after about 166 miles horrible open bracket, oh it also started to rust on parts after about 2 weeks and weighed a ton and the shocks were useless thats a £200 quid one, this one to be exact http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...5|rnd:8703179365743713479|dvc:c|adp:1o1|bku:1

it was down right dangerous i would go as far to call it a death trap and i cant imagine what one 50 quid cheaper is like, don't do it, my 28 year old ridge back was a lot better and is still safe to ride plus lighter lol :smile:

got a decathlon bike and am very happy with it, 40 mile ride today with no problems :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

goldie42

Thanks again everyone, I continued my search and whilst I did my budget got nudged up by my parents so. I bought a second hand voodoo aizan 29er a little change from £200
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/voodoo-aizan-29er-mountain-bike-20
A little bit heavy(it's the wheels that are overweight), however I am really pleased with the handling feels like it goes and wants to go faster. It has mtb gears but the 29" wheels means I'm not topping out too often yet and can always change the front sprocket in the future and maybe one day find cheapish lighter 29er wheels.
Thanks again for the advice, I had about 5 different bikes I was looking at in the end both new and preloved (very nearly managed to get a giant roam 0 but was a bit to tardy in emailing eBay seller because I thought it was out of my price bracket)

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Well done, looks like a good deal for the money. I think you'll find it's not the wheels but the forks that are piling on the kilos. It is quite lardy at nearly 15kg.

Top Bottom