mudguard choice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

inkd

Sorry for yet another mudguard post, i have read through the searches but heres my dilema.
I bought a pair of Zefal commuter mudguards but im still getting the black streak up my back and grime all over front mech. I wish i read all reviews first but hey ho.
I am looking at getting SKS chromo/blummel/commuter but which would be better? and what size?
Bike is Spec Sirrus with 700x32 tryes.
thx

Mo1959

Legendary Member
The SKS always get good reviews. Bit of a pain to fit as the stays are nearly always too long so you need decent bolt/wire cutters. Think you would have to go for the wide with these tyres.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sks-chromoplastic-road-mudguard-set/

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Sorry for yet another mudguard post, i have read through the searches but heres my dilema.
I bought a pair of Zefal commuter mudguards but im still getting the black streak up my back and grime all over front mech. I wish i read all reviews first but hey ho.
I am looking at getting SKS chromo/blummel/commuter but which would be better? and what size?
Bike is Spec Sirrus with 700x32 tryes.
thx
I had SKS Chromoplastics on my previous commuting bike in the P35 variety (running 700x25c tyres). When I replaced that bike, I opted to go for SKS Longboards instead – they're a bit wider (45mm) but crucially also significantly longer and include mudflaps. In my experience they're much better at shielding my feet and front mech from wheel spray. Hope that helps :smile:

bobones

Veteran
+1 for SKS Longboards. I've got black 35mm on my winter bike (25mm tyres) and they're pretty great. Great coverage at the front for your feet and riders behind in group rides will appreciate the extra length and flap at the back. 45mm for your 700x32 should be fine. Stays can be cut with a hacksaw if you don't have bolt croppers. Tip: put "no more nails on a roll" under the rear metal bridge (both above and under the guard) to stop rattling and gouging.

e-rider

crappy member
SKS chromos are great - take some time to fit and the stays ALWAYS need cutting (hacksaw then file is best) - however, once fitted they work excellent and last for years

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I know they come with a mudflap, I want to know if it comes with the mudflaps attached to the fender.
Yes Gaz, mudflaps come attached.

OP
OP
inkd

inkd

Thx for replys, will ponder on this til payday next friday. Both are around the same price online and both with good reviews.SKS Commuters have a pretty poor review so will be between chromo or longboards, one question is the longboards seem longer so is removal of rear wheel any more hassle?

OP
OP
inkd

inkd

[QUOTE 2288963, member: 45"]I like my guards to look snug around the tyre, so I don't go wide with them. Bluemels are cheaper than Chromoplastics, and as good.[/quote]
Yes, thats why I asked about size. Because my tyres are 32 the recommended width would be 45mm? like the chromo P45? I did want them to look as minimalistic as possible which is putting me off the big rubber flaps BUT i dont want spray up my back:headshake:

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
I have just fitted a pair of SKS P45 (formerly known as Chromoplastic) after my old mudguards snapped. They no longer come with mudflaps - so I have ordered a pair of Brooks (for the classy look!). I had no trouble putting them on and used an angle-grinder to cut the stays (far easier than a hacksaw). The instructions are totally crap - but this video told me everything I needed to know:

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Yes, thats why I asked about size. Because my tyres are 32 the recommended width would be 45mm? like the chromo P45? I did want them to look as minimalistic as possible which is putting me off the big rubber flaps BUT i dont want spray up my back:headshake:
Put the 35 on, the 45 is huge. I have 35s on my CX and its 35mm off road tyres fit like a glove.

Top Bottom