mudguards again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

adiwillow

i had basic ones on mine
Yeah the rear looks fine, but its that front one that bothers me.. just seems like it would do little to stop mud and spray on your legs. But, lookjing at my other halves ones yesterday, it seems the bracket can be turned round, and it can mounted on the other side of the forks too, which would bring the coverage of the front down by maybe 3 inches.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You'll need full guards for winter and a home brew mudflap on the front if you want to stay even slightly clean. You might be better off with a slightly narrower tyre with some grip over the winter - Schwalbe Land Cruisers come in 2.0 width and also 1.75.

OP
OP
A

adiwillow

You'll need full guards for winter and a home brew mudflap on the front if you want to stay even slightly clean. You might be better off with a slightly narrower tyre with some grip over the winter - Schwalbe Land Cruisers come in 2.0 width and also 1.75.
Thanks.. may even put my original tyres back on which came with the bike (can't remember what they are). I went for the big ben to soak up a bit of judder. I assume the chunkier tyres such as the land cruisers are better for mud, but worse on road?

Jody

Stubborn git
Mudhuggers will keep your back side clean the majority of your front. Don't look too bad either for MTB mudguards.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thanks.. may even put my original tyres back on which came with the bike (can't remember what they are). I went for the big ben to soak up a bit of judder. I assume the chunkier tyres such as the land cruisers are better for mud, but worse on road?

The Land Cruisers have a central ridge which should be OK on road - all depends upon how muddy the canal gets, especially if it deteriorates, as it does in winter.

I'm on a canal commute, using an old rigid MTB, but I can just squeeze guards in there if I use 2.0 tyres. I'm using BTwin MTB tyres, they have tread, but it's not too knobly, but they cope with mud, and roll OK on the road.

I've used the sides of a pop bottle and duct tape, to fashion a longer mud flap - this keeps the spray down on my feet and legs - just ensures I arrive 'cleaner'.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have already posted a link to a 65mm 26" set of fixed mudguards, these will fit over 2.15" tyres and have quick releases in case something nasty jams them up. If you do a search you can find them cheaper than my link.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I have full mudguards on mine - it came with them
Work great - but can rub when some mud gets caught under them

Word of warning - my old ebike have great mudguards - except that they were made from aluminium - total pain in the whatsit because once they got out of perfect shape they where a right b****r to get back again
The plastic ones adjust more easily and don't deform into another shape when knocked
Just as an opposite experience. My Kinesis Fend Off are aluminum. They keep their shape better and don't bend when knocked far better than any plastic guards I've used.

In the past I've gone for plastic guards which offered a limited amount of protection. Since starting to use full length, including flaps, aluminum guards I've changed my view completely. There's no substitute for them. Both the the bike and I stay clean and dry whatever the weather.

One feature of the Fend Off is the quite deep sides which I feel helps to channel water through the guard rather than it spraying out of the side. Google these and check the profile.

Thinking about the aluminium thing I said - that was based on my old Powacycle ebike - which could be a pain if the mudguards got banged

However, when I was a kid I had a 10 speed Peugeot that also had aluminium mudguards and I never had any problem with them
so maybe it just depends on how good they are!

Top Bottom