Mudguards - Again......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
I've got the cube attain mudguards on mine too. But they are specific to that range of bikes, because of the way the front mudguard attaches at the top (screw going up through the mudguard into a hole in the underside of the fork).

I do find it slightly irritating that the front one doesn't go a little further forward too, it means the spray off the wheel gets blown back onto my gopro and computer on the handlebars, plus the front of the steerer tube.
I knew they were Cube specific but never really thought about other models.Anyway never really overthought about the length as seemed ok to me.They don't move around too much or rattle which is my main gripe.Also seems to avoid the stripe up my rear end which is also a bonus 😁

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

I run the S board on the front and have also fitted one on the rear, as per your picture. It works surprisingly well! This is what I’ve got at the moment - Zefal swan - I find it a bit less of a phaff than the clip on ones. Pretty cheap - about a tenner if I remember correctly.

View attachment 673595
How do you get on with the Swan on the rear? (For some reason that just wrong)
It looks almost identical to the S Blade on my fist post.

You say you use the S boards on both front and rear? Does it work better than the Swan on the rear?

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

I have the latter on my bike. They keep crap off my face and from ending up on my saddle, butt and back.

No good for anyone riding behind me (rare) and feet can still get wet.

Easy to get the things on and off the bike.

Got them on a matt black same price as gloss deal to match my bike from Wiggle a couple of years back.

Edit: your bike looks cool - similar to my Domane ALR Disc.
The bike on the picture isn’t mine. It’s just an example and short review using the S Boards on both front and rear.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Oh!

Shame - nice bike.

What are you pedalling if you don't mind me asking?
1673122473749.jpeg

Giant Fastroad Advanced 1.

Juliansou

How do you get on with the Swan on the rear? (For some reason that just wrong)
It looks almost identical to the S Blade on my fist post.

You say you use the S boards on both front and rear? Does it work better than the Swan on the rear?

The swan is better than the S board to be honest. The S board does work surprisingly well, but you can dial the swan in for a perfect fit (ratchet system with an Allen key). Here’s my set up & they‘re pretty cheap for what they are - worth a punt?

43CFB372-B41F-4C96-966A-5F542706139D.jpg

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Thanks, that looks quiet neat.
I presume the S blade (not the S Board) will work as well as the Swan, as they are both the same thing really?

Juliansou

Yep - blade!
The Swan gives a lot more coverage. You can’t quite see in the photo, but it does ‘hang’ over the wheel slightly. It does cover pretty much the whole of the wheel, whereas the the SB only covered about 1/3. It attaches to the seat post which I prefer - bit less phaff and less likely to rub I’ve found. Cheap enough to try - you get a nice little reflective ring on it too which is effective.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Would the Swan or S Blade fit securely onto a Giant D Fuse seatpost without moving around once fitted?
I suppose i could use a piece of rubber to round off the D section if neccessary although that could get fiddly.
I'd soon get annoyed if the rear guars (S Blase or Swan) kept moving around and getting out of allignment?

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

....if not, then I may revert back to using a S Board on the rear also.
It may not be perfect, but providing the S Board offers some protection, it should be enough for my limited wet road useage.
Do the S Board work at all on the rear?

Juliansou

....if not, then I may revert back to using a S Board on the rear also.
It may not be perfect, but providing the S Board offers some protection, it should be enough for my limited wet road useage.
Do the S Board work at all on the rear?

The swan is a universal fit so it just tightens up on the rear seat post (don’t over-tighten). Once in place it’s rock
solid - no movement at all in my experience.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Thanks but I'm unsure if it will secure fully onto the D fuse seatpost.
To avoid uncertainty I've ordered the SKS Raceblade XL Pro.

I may pick up a cheap rear seatpost fitted one at some point if I can find one, for summer and sprong use, just in case.

Top Bottom