Mudguards- do they make a difference

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No, I'm not asking if they are effective in keeping your bottom dry (sorry Bonj ;)).

What I want to know is, if you have mudguards on, do they make a significant difference to your speed on sportives etc?

On a recent sportive, which was a bit wet, I had my full length mudguards on the bike. I thought I would be nice to the other riders (OK I am actually lazy and have never taken them off :evil:).

However, at the sportive I didn't see any other riders with full guards on and only one rider with clip on guards on. Why? Obviously some bikes can't take guards, fair enough, but a lot of the bikes could.

So is it a fashion thing, or do full mudguards really make a significant difference to performance? I'd be surprised if they did.

Vanity, plain and simple.

I am not vain, so I have mudguards on because they make sense. They also match my plus fours and cloth cap.

MartinC

Über Member
Mudguards have many benefits. One of the downsides is that they constantly dump water onto your rims and hinder your braking efficiency. I wouldn't criticise anyone for using them or choosing not to.

As to how much difference to the effort required they make. Don't know. On a bike where you're interested in going as fast as you can then it's logical to dispense with them. You're going to select the bike and it's components for efficiency anyway.

jimboalee

The full mudguards that showed the least effect are Salmon Profile.
They don't add to the cross-section area of the bike but do create turbulance. Anything that creates turbulance or disrupts the smooth flow of air around the vehicle is a BAD thing.

The worst case is wide MTB mudguards on an MTB with narrow slicks. The rearmost curve of the front mudguard acts like a parachute.

The full mudguards on my Dawes Giro 500 add 4 Watts to its power requirement at 15 mph, so it's really 'diddly zip'. 106 without and 110 with.
The mudguards never leave my Dawes, even on Audax 300s.

Then again, Cav might not have got all his sprint victories if he had mudguards fitted ;)

gavintc

Guru
Read the weight article put up by Peanut. The weight although a 'no shoot sherlock' issue for some is worth considering when you ponder the climbing you do on a sportive. Personally, when I do a sportive, I do not carry any superfluous weight and mudguards are to me superfluous weight. I can definitely feel the difference with guards off and on. My guards are still in the cupboard and get fitted when the water gets colder - it is still not too bad at present.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
magnatom said:
No, I'm not asking if they are effective in keeping your bottom dry (sorry Bonj :smile:).

What I want to know is, if you have mudguards on, do they make a significant difference to your speed on sportives etc?

Have you try riding behind someone who hasn't got them?

MartinC said:
Mudguards have many benefits. One of the downsides is that they constantly dump water onto your rims and hinder your braking efficiency...

Sounds like a good reason for getting disk brakes...

jimboalee said:
Then again, Cav might not have got all his sprint victories if he had mudguards fitted :biggrin:

Don't think, even in his dreams, magnatom is in the same league... :wacko:

Sorry just feeling a bit fascious today... :biggrin:

MartinC said:
One of the downsides is that they constantly dump water onto your rims and hinder your braking efficiency. I wouldn't criticise anyone for using them or choosing not to.

I can't see that. If the rim is wet it's wet, making it wetter won't have any effect and whether you have mudguards or not, you still have wet rims in wet conditions.

Anyway modern rims and brake blocks really do make stopping in the wet so much better. I still remember having steel rims. OK for spotting a sheep in the far distance and beginning to brake for your arrival at it in a few minutes.

bonj2

magnatom said:
No, I'm not asking if they are effective in keeping your bottom dry (sorry Bonj :biggrin:).

On a recent sportive, which was a bit wet, I had my full length mudguards on the bike. I thought I would be nice to the other riders (OK I am actually lazy and have never taken them off :biggrin:).

However, at the sportive I didn't see any other riders with full guards on and only one rider with clip on guards on. Why? Obviously some bikes can't take guards, fair enough, but a lot of the bikes could.

So is it a fashion thing, or do full mudguards really make a significant difference to performance? I'd be surprised if they did.

I'd let my membership of the vehement militant anti-mudguard brigade lapse because I thought they were necessary for audaxes, and I had them on for a bit. However, I'm now back as a fully paid up member.

Had to remove them to get my bike in a van, and when i put them back on the tyre was rubbing, so took out the piece of rubber in between the brake bolt clamp and the guard. This made it rattle a bit, but not too much. Then, 3/4 of the way to work, one of the stays popped out - so managed to frig it by increasing the tension on one of the other stays in order for it not to catch on the tyre on the way home, during which I was praying for it to not get worse/come off completely/start rubbing/the stay to spear me in the leg/get caught in the spokes and catapult me down a mine resulting in certain death. I couldn't remove it completely because i didn't have an 8mm spanner necessary to fasten it to the chainstay bridge.

This last, rambling, paragraph highlights the quagmire a cyclist inevitably immerses themselves into when they choose mudguards - a world of frigs, hacks, bodges and old bits cobbled together.

Cycle manufacturers don't see the point in mudguards, that's why most don't consider the ability to fit mudguards as a design criteria of the bike.

On audaxes, not wishing to be big headed, and if this year (my first audaxing year) is anything to go by, but I will have to be kept up with on more than 5% of audaxes for me to consider mudguards for socially conscientous reasons. And any cafe owners that complain are obviously ones that don't really like cyclists anyway and I would be unlikely to frequent them with a barge pole as they are the sort of cafe that serves coffee that's weaker than a nun's piss. I've been in tons of good cafes sopping wet and they haven't minded, one of which was quite posh (felt overly posh) and they didn't even mind.

I always wear cycling clothes when cycling, for anyone that wants to cycle like a politician, preferring to ride their bike wearing their business suit, then maybe mudguards are for you. But for serious cyclists like me, any water that splashes up is inveitably outnumbered 10 to 1 by water falling from the sky onto you.

Mudguards, I'm afraid - cannot be trusted, are of no benefit, are time consuming to faff around with, look bad, and slow you down.

magnatom - if you are worried about other cyclists getting splashed by your rear wheel, then what i would suggest is cycling faster, that way they won't be able to keep up with you. :wacko:

bonj2

magnatom said:
No, I'm not asking if they are effective in keeping your bottom dry (sorry Bonj :biggrin:).

On a recent sportive, which was a bit wet, I had my full length mudguards on the bike. I thought I would be nice to the other riders (OK I am actually lazy and have never taken them off :biggrin:).

So, to put it another way: "I'm sure my mudguards are slowing me down, but I want people to convince me that they're not." :wacko:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

bonj said:
So, to put it another way: "I'm sure my mudguards are slowing me down, but I want people to convince me that they're not." :wacko:

I'd be quite happy if they were slowing me down. That means I am faster than I think! :biggrin:

Mr Pig

bonj said:
Mudguards, I'm afraid - cannot be trusted, are of no benefit, are time consuming to faff around with, look bad, and slow you down.

Mince. We're not all die-hard, fashion-slave road racers. My mudguards let me ride to work on wet roads without getting wet and clip off and on in seconds.

MartinC

Über Member
Magnatom, sympathies - you ask a question and get inundated with peoples prejudices!

There's no doubt that mudguards add measurable weight, air resistance, complexity and faff to your bike. Whether they're worth it depends on what you want to do.

On a touring or utility bike I wouldn't dream of not having them. On a racing bike I wouldn't want them at all. On the bikes in between (e.g. Audax, Sportive, Training) you need to make up your own mind (taking into account the people you ride with) where the balance of advantage lies. Some of my bikes have them, some don't.

Ignore the small minded bigots who will tell you that they know why you use/don't use them - it's just an affectation on their part.

Top Bottom