Mudguards- do they make a difference

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

silverbow

I would give it a test. Try free wheeling down a long hill with them on and time it, plus looking at the top speed. Then do the same with them off, you should get a pretty good idea from that. Possibly do it 3 times in each configuration to get an average?

Personally I would leave them on if you are cycling with a group and members of the group use them too, it is only polite.

I certainly wouldn't take them off as others have suggested that they have had trouble adjusting them or did have the right tools to maintain them. Mudguards are like any other bit of bike kit, you just need to know what you are doing.

smeg

HJ said:
Take them off if you are fantasist or if you manage to out sprint Lance Armstrong last week...
You don't need to out sprint Lance Armstrong you just need lots of rain and a steep hill to climb. :wacko:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
bonj said:
so my fixie doesn't have them whether it's rainy or not

VANITY ALERT............... :eek::biggrin: You have been got my son..........!!!

I didn't think I'd see you post that.....

My Fixed has guards...cos it can take them, my road bikes don't as there is no room...talking less than 5mm clearance under the brakes.....

But the Fixed does have specific, and very neat, mounting points designed into the frame for said allen bolts to fix guards...... ah well..... got me too. :wacko:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Back to the OP - they don't 'normally' slow you down at all.... tyre choice is very important.

The only negative effect I have had, was a front wheel shimmy with guards in a cross winds on a fast descent - didn't happen on same bike without guards....but that's it.....

Velorum

One winter I commuted to work without any.

Never again............

180px-Bicycle-Mudguard-Fender.jpg

Top Bottom