Mudguards- do they make a difference

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
The answer to the OP has to be "yes".

I like them. Been on all my bikes, so have ridden over 50,000 miles altogether with them. Never any problems with either aluminium or plastic ones.

If you don't like them don't use them, but please don't ride in front of me when it's wet.

I used to take them off for Time Trials but the last time I did that was over 30 years ago!

Graham O

bonj said:
I lay the charge to all mudguard users that the reason they use mudguards is simply because they like the *idea* of them.

Snip

Other people, however, won't admit this, preferring instead to pretend that they have some actual practical value.

Do you actually believe all the crap you write?

asterix

Comrade Member
Bonj has no beliefs. He is a belief black hole, lurking around on Cycle Chat waiting for someone to express a nice fat juicy belief that can be sucked into the whirling black vortex of his soul, given a good kicking and spat back at its owner battered and smeared in ridicule.

jimboalee

asterix said:
Bonj has no beliefs. He is a belief black hole, lurking around on Cycle Chat waiting for someone to express a nice fat juicy belief that can be sucked into the whirling black vortex of his soul, given a good kicking and spat back at its owner battered and smeared in ridicule.

Bonj is a 'wind-up artiste'.

But he doesn't lay enough traps for some of us to get snared.

In this instance, if you want mudguards, fit them. If you don't, don't.
"There's no law against it....." ( that was a favourite of my missus when she wanted a new dress that cost £150 ).

Now I say it to myself when I want a new bike.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

LOL! :biggrin:

I had a feeling the thread might go this way!

However, no-one has really answered my question, i.e. how much of a performance reduction does having mudguards on produce?

Imaging taking part in a 100 mile sportive. For someone who would average 16mph over the course without mudguards, what would that same cyclist average with good fitting, reasonably light mudguards on?

I'm sure there is no definitive answer, i.e. no-one has ever done the research. I'm just curious to what people views of this are. It just amazes me that even when the weather is poor, most will chose not to have mudguards on.

Graham O

magnatom said:
Imaging taking part in a 100 mile sportive. For someone who would average 16mph over the course without mudguards, what would that same cyclist average with good fitting, reasonably light mudguards on?

I'm sure there is no definitive answer, i.e. no-one has ever done the research. I'm just curious to what people views of this are. It just amazes me that even when the weather is poor, most will chose not to have mudguards on.

Having just taken the mudguards off my fixed wheel bike (mudguards on fixed, that will get Bonj worked up!) I cannot feel any difference in performance at speed although there is an impression that it is lighter and accelerates faster. Although the guards feel very lightweight, they do weigh quite a bit. I can't remember how much exactly, but I was surprised.

However, it does look much faster!

snorri

Legendary Member
Graham O said:
However, it does look much faster!
It's all in the mind.:biggrin:

RedBike

snorri said:
It's all in the mind.:biggrin:

I think the performance loss is more in the mind than physical.

It feels hard climbing a hill - if only I didn't have the extra weight of the guards.

It's hard work maintaining 20mph - If only there wasn't this extra wind resistance.

In real terms I doubt that extra weight is actually making that much difference and the guards probably aren't slowing you down all that much.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
magnatom said:
LOL! :smile:

However, no-one has really answered my question, i.e. how much of a performance reduction does having mudguards on produce?

I would be interested in an answer but the problem is I reckon the only way to get one is self testing. Pick a day and do, say a 30 mile loop in the morning, with guards etc. Repeat minus the guards in the afternoon having rested in between. Repeat again the next day reversing the order, ie no guards in morning. You'd need two days where the weather was pretty much the same and you felt ok.

Not super scientific but probably going to give you a rough idea. Let's face it we don't need precise here just ballpark. Basically enough info to enable you to make a judgement call.

tyred

Legendary Member
Does it really matter unless you are actually competing?

I'm sure any difference is marginal. Extra wind resistance would probably be more of an issue than weight. You would need to spend time in the wind tunnel.

Having them on and going a possible 1/2mph slower is better than riding down the road and getting covered in cow shoot, as tends to happen when people are bringing cows in for mikling.

gavintc

Guru
I really cannot believe this 'all in the mind' stuff when it has been scientifically proven that weight is a negative factor when climbing hills. How much of a difference is hard to tell, but guards act against your speed in 2 ways; weight and wind drag. Take them off and give it a try.

jimboalee

magnatom said:
LOL! ;)

Go back to #4 Magnatom.

About 4 Watts.

The research has been done, but only for my own interest.

You'll lose about 1/2 mph with 'guards fitted if 15 mph is your normal speed.

Most cyclists aren't particulary bothered about how much speed is lost. In fact, they don't give a flying f**k. All they want is to stop the shitty, oily AND SALTY road water splashing up their feet, chest, back, face etc; as well as their BB, rear stays, brake mounts and gear mechs.

Top Bottom