mudguards etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
did you have mk1 or mk2 cruds? they reckon on their website that the mk2's have been beefed up. with regards to losing chunks, the website just says, 'get in touch and we'll replace busted bits for free'.

I don't really have a complaint about them - I just don't like them much. The fixings held out OK- it was just bits of the guard itself that would get twanged off by stones now and then. Eventually it happened to the bit that you cable-tie under the brake, and I decided I couldn't be arsed to figure out a different way of fixing it.

not for a fixie smart arse, the wheel slides out backwards, a full length guard prevents this. cruds are easily disconnected (so are sks quick release mounts, from what i've been told on here), therefore easier to get the wheel out.

Fair point, I didn't consider horizontal dropouts which is why I put the confused smiley in.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
As many of you know - I am a fan of the Crud Roadracers and keep a pair on my Basso all year round. Lots of people have bought them after reading my review.

The replacement policy has changed. It used to be a charge for postage only, but now it is at cost. It's a shame, but I don't think it was sustainable for Crud to take a loss on spares.

Yes, they do break if you mistreat them (or have an accident) but the fragility is designed in - it really isn't difficult to make tough plastic! The problem would be getting a strong mudguard jammed in your front wheel/fork if you rode over a stick or Coke can (whatever). I broke one when I got the strap of my bag tangled in it and tugged it, rather than taking the time to disentangle it. The second one broke when I dropped my bike on it, which I think is fair enough.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
As many of you know - I am a fan of the Crud Roadracers and keep a pair on my Basso all year round. Lots of people have bought them after reading my review.

The replacement policy has changed. It used to be a charge for postage only, but now it is at cost. It's a shame, but I don't think it was sustainable for Crud to take a loss on spares.

Yes, they do break if you mistreat them (or have an accident) but the fragility is designed in - it really isn't difficult to make tough plastic! The problem would be getting a strong mudguard jammed in your front wheel/fork if you rode over a stick or Coke can (whatever). I broke one when I got the strap of my bag tangled in it and tugged it, rather than taking the time to disentangle it. The second one broke when I dropped my bike on it, which I think is fair enough.

As in riding the bike? They just break in normal use, Colin. Bit by bit. It's understandable, and it's no big deal, but they are effectively consumables.

twobiker

I fitted some old metal guards from a Raleigh Europa on to my Hardrock, wire brushed and sprayed matt black with stove paint, only 8" long so no good for rain but they look the dogs whatsits.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
As in riding the bike? They just break in normal use, Colin. Bit by bit. It's understandable, and it's no big deal, but they are effectively consumables.
I've not had that happen to mine but I've probably only done 2,500 miles with them so far.

If I had a bike which was suitable for conventional mudguards, then that is what I would fit, but I think the Cruds are a great idea for narrow clearance road bikes. I didn't really like Raceblades much when I saw them on other people's bikes.

Top Bottom