mudguards etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
bearing in mind the weather the last few days ,i think its time i got some mudguards for my roadbike.does anybody have any recomendations please. oh and a showerproof jacket preferably not a boil in the bag job :wacko:
any help greatly appreciated

Virtually everyone will come recommending CRUD ROAD RACERS. FWIW I've never been able to get the MK2's to fit right, but the MK1's have always been ok for me, (I seem to be quite alone in this though!).

Other recommendations are SKS RACE BLADES, not quite as discreet as the Cruds, but simpler to fit.

However, if you've got the clearance you can't beat full length guards like THESE. Shop around though, I only paid £21.99 at my LBS for these exact ones in black!

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i've just fitted crud 2's to my fixie, i've massive amounts of room for full size guards, but it'll be easier to get the rear wheel out with cruds. i'm really chuffed with them, the front is way longer than other guards (runs closer to the ground). however, for the front i've had to make a bracket (too much clearance) so they aren't sticking out as far in front of the brakes as shown in the pictures.

i'll see how they are tomorrow on my commute, they look better than i thought they would aswell. the best design part, the bit next to the chainset, it's kinda extended round to provide more protection for the chainset, not too important on a fixie (tho less crap into the bb is good, i suppose), but i bet people with front mechs really appreciate it.

i've just fitted crud 2's to my fixie, i've massive amounts of room for full size guards, but it'll be easier to get the rear wheel out with cruds. i'm really chuffed with them, the front is way longer than other guards (runs closer to the ground). however, for the front i've had to make a bracket (too much clearance) so they aren't sticking out as far in front of the brakes as shown in the pictures.

i'll see how they are tomorrow on my commute, they look better than i thought they would aswell. the best design part, the bit next to the chainset, it's kinda extended round to provide more protection for the chainset, not too important on a fixie (tho less crap into the bb is good, i suppose), but i bet people with front mechs really appreciate it.

Huh? Dropping a wheel out when you have full SKS guards is exactly the same as dropping a wheel out when no mudguards are fitted :wacko:

If you have clearance for full guards, then get them. If you haven't, then consider cruds or some of the less effective\rubust guards. All of them are better than nothing.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Huh? Dropping a wheel out when you have full SKS guards is exactly the same as dropping a wheel out when no mudguards are fitted :wacko:

If you have clearance for full guards, then get them. If you haven't, then consider cruds or some of the less effective\rubust guards. All of them are better than nothing.

not for a fixie smart arse, the wheel slides out backwards, a full length guard prevents this. cruds are easily disconnected (so are sks quick release mounts, from what i've been told on here), therefore easier to get the wheel out.

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Sorry to hi-jack this thread, but I have a related question regarding the appropriate size of mudguard to buy...

I bought and fitted the SKS P35 mudguards as they were stated as suitable for tyre sizes 700C x 20-28 (my tyres are 28's). Given I've been out and about in all conditions on my commute now, I'm surprised how much spray there is out the sides and how much crap (for want of a better word) ends up on the frame, and my feet.

Did I buy the wrong size, or would it just have been prudent to go for the P45? I notice they come with a mud flap on the front too (optional I think) that might also help minimise spray onto my shoes.

Thoughts anyone?

potsy

Rambler
My sks ones are 50mm wide and I run 28mm tyres, the bike stays remarkably clean and will be my winter ride this year.
Also gives the option of running wider/studded tyres without having to remove them :thumbsup:

I think the front mudflap is very important if you want maximum efficiency from them.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Sorry to hi-jack this thread, but I have a related question regarding the appropriate size of mudguard to buy...

I bought and fitted the SKS P35 mudguards as they were stated as suitable for tyre sizes 700C x 20-28 (my tyres are 28's). Given I've been out and about in all conditions on my commute now, I'm surprised how much spray there is out the sides and how much crap (for want of a better word) ends up on the frame, and my feet.

Did I buy the wrong size, or would it just have been prudent to go for the P45? I notice they come with a mud flap on the front too (optional I think) that might also help minimise spray onto my shoes.

Thoughts anyone?

A lot of people do put on mud flaps, when i have used them in the past i added one as british guards do seem to be on the short side. the cruds i've just put on are much longer than what i'm used to.

if you go on flickr and look at american bikes with guards they seem to be much longer, both at the front and rear. i wonder why we have shorter length ones?

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Salmon mudgaurds here.

They are hard to get hold of a can be a major fabrication on fitting (depends on bike) though they are old school.
They fit any road bike, even track bikes with no clearance.
I just love em and they look fantastic

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I just put Topeak DeFenders (geddit?) on my commuter. I had the Crud Road Racer rear on before, which lasted about a year and a half. The design was clever enough considering how little clearance there is, but it always had a provisional, cheap 'n' nasty feel about it, and bits of debris would simply take chunks out of it now and again. I couldn't get the front one to fit at all. These are sturdier, the fittings are much more pleasing, and they look OK if you like mudguards. They are undeniably shorter though - the front one avoids the clearance issue by simply not covering the front of the wheel. Despite the better design (there are adaptors and spares for different set-ups) I still had to cowboy the fittings - the front attachment is built for a deeper fork crown and the rear clip fitting needed more brake post than I had. They don't rattle around or rub on things though if you take a bit of care with the fitting. I might still have to ditch the front one, though, as it's giving me toe clearance issues.

Is it possible to hide this post from Dellzeqq? :unsure:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I just put Topeak DeFenders (geddit?) on my commuter. I had the Crud Road Racer rear on before, which lasted about a year and a half. The design was clever enough considering how little clearance there is, but it always had a provisional, cheap 'n' nasty feel about it, and bits of debris would simply take chunks out of it now and again. I couldn't get the front one to fit at all. These are sturdier, the fittings are much more pleasing, and they look OK if you like mudguards. They are undeniably shorter though - the front one avoids the clearance issue by simply not covering the front of the wheel. Despite the better design (there are adaptors and spares for different set-ups) I still had to cowboy the fittings - the front attachment is built for a deeper fork crown and the rear clip fitting needed more brake post than I had. They don't rattle around or rub on things though if you take a bit of care with the fitting. I might still have to ditch the front one, though, as it's giving me toe clearance issues.

Is it possible to hide this post from Dellzeqq? :unsure:

did you have mk1 or mk2 cruds? they reckon on their website that the mk2's have been beefed up. with regards to losing chunks, the website just says, 'get in touch and we'll replace busted bits for free'.

johnnyh

Veteran
I had Cruds, and they gradually broke beyond repair. Gone with SKS raceblades this time. I know CRUD will send out new bits if you send the postage, but to be honest I would rather they didnt break in the first place
thumbsup.png

mrmacmusic

Veteran
My sks ones are 50mm wide and I run 28mm tyres, the bike stays remarkably clean and will be my winter ride this year.
Also gives the option of running wider/studded tyres without having to remove them :thumbsup:

I think the front mudflap is very important if you want maximum efficiency from them.
Thanks potsy.... sounds like I bought the wrong ones :blush:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I had Cruds, and they gradually broke beyond repair. Gone with SKS raceblades this time. I know CRUD will send out new bits if you send the postage, but to be honest I would rather they didnt break in the first place
thumbsup.png

good to know that they will actually send bits out. i hope mine last a bit longer, i've made some proper brackets to fasten them to the frame and forks. time will tell. if they don't, i can always go the sks and break away fixings.

to the op, looks like potsy put you right, but be careful any gratitude will be added to his siggy...:smile:

Top Bottom