Mudguards for Gravel bike ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
With winter fast approaching and the rain getting far more common than I'd like - I'm going to have to get guards on the gravel bike.

I've lots of clearance and currently have 38mm semi knobbly tyres on there. I do have slicks that I may go to but they're narrower.

Any recommendations ?

With it being a gravel bike I've not got the brake bolt to hang guards off - but I have seen this on another bike - this could work from what I see in the picture ?

Any recommendations please ?

Screenshot_20201026-120843.jpg

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I have SKS Longboards on my CdF and am generally very happy with them. They're well made, robust, offer a lot of protection and look decent.

My only criticisms are that the front one sits a bit high at the front (I guess a risk with universal designs), the fasteners could be stainless and they're time consuming to fit.. also the extended rear end can fall foul of particularly high kerbs / dropoffs etc, but this is the price you pay for keeping your feet and the crankset drier than with shorter alternatives.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have SKS Longboards on my CdF and am generally very happy with them. They're well made, robust, offer a lot of protection and look decent.

My only criticisms are that the front one sits a bit high at the front (I guess a risk with universal designs), the fasteners could be stainless and they're time consuming to fit.. also the extended rear end can fall foul of particularly high kerbs / dropoffs etc, but this is the price you pay for keeping your feet and the crankset drier than with shorter alternatives.
I put Longboards on my CAADX and I rate them too.

I had the same problem with the front one catching the kerb outside my house but I discovered that it is possible to trim the flap with sharp scissors. I nibbled a few mm off at a time until the length stopped being a problem - still long, just not stupidly long! :okay:

That rack has extended mounts so the stays clear the rear disk.

I found that the front of the front mudguard rattled against the fork so I fitted a second mounting bracket at the front to hold it clear.

The Shand Leveret seems to have a full complement of mudguard eyelets, although not in conventional positions. SKS chromoplastic are the ones to fit if you have eyelets.

iluvmybike

Über Member
With winter fast approaching and the rain getting far more common than I'd like - I'm going to have to get guards on the gravel bike.

I've lots of clearance and currently have 38mm semi knobbly tyres on there. I do have slicks that I may go to but they're narrower.

Any recommendations ?

With it being a gravel bike I've not got the brake bolt to hang guards off - but I have seen this on another bike - this could work from what I see in the picture ?

View attachment 554643
The one in that picture requires a hole on the fork - but you said you don't have that - presume you have disk brakes. Probably better off looking at clip on mtb type guards that would fit a 29er bike. The problem with a close fitting guard as in pic is that it will clog with mud very quickly

OP
OP
cougie uk

cougie uk

Guru
Thanks chaps.

I do have most of the fitting points - just the fork crown is a bit weird. Bike in the back but nothing at the front.

Perhaps it's threaded inside. Must look.

It's not going to get used very much on the mud in the winter. A few trails maybe but most of it is road riding so the close fitting mudguards would probably do ?

Screenshot_20201026-144304__01.jpg
Screenshot_20201026-144309__01.jpg
Screenshot_20201026-144327__01.jpg

You can use a plastic spacer above the rear guard to set the correct clearance.
At the fork, if you dont have a hole through the crown there may be a threaded hole at the bottom of the steerer. If the steerer is open at the bottom you can put a compression plug to mount the guard.
Always use QR mudguard mounts at the front for safety.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I do have most of the fitting points - just the fork crown is a bit weird. Bike in the back but nothing at the front.

Perhaps it's threaded inside. Must look.
I've seen threaded inserts on the underside of fork crowns. Maybe you have one of those and will be able to fit a bolt up through a front mudguard?

PS Hah beaten to it while typing! :okay:

Lostagain

I'd recommend Mucky Nutz. Don't keep you completely spatter free but are easy to mount and there is plenty of clearance

OP
OP
cougie uk

cougie uk

Guru
Sorry I should have finished this off by saying what guards I got.

Had them for almost two years now and they're brilliant. Mounted them fairly high up so they can cope with knobbly 38mm tyres but most of the time it's my 32mm slicks on there.

Can recommend. Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-09-25-23-01-00-75_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-09-25-23-01-00-75_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 17

TAV

Guru

Any recommendations ?

View attachment 554643

I don't know if you've bought mudguards yet but these orange ones from the states are good

Attachments

• IMG-20221016-WA0016.jpg
    IMG-20221016-WA0016.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG-20221016-WA0018.jpg
    IMG-20221016-WA0018.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 10

andrew_s

Legendary Member
A standard mudguard fitting would be a bolt hole on the rear side of the fork crown, but many carbon forks don't have any mounting points at the fork crown at all, or an opening into the lower end of the steerer tube.

However, it is often possible to use zip ties, by making small holes in the mudguard to thread them through
mudguard1_zps3cc7a1dc.jpg
mudguard2_zps04a95cca.jpg

You'd want to remove the official fork crown fitting, and maybe add a bit of something between the mudguard and the fork, but it does hole pretty solidly.

Top Bottom