Mudguards for old MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moby Jones

I am looking to pick up a pair of mudguards for an old MTB which I will be using during the worst of the winter here in Scotland. I am looking for a pair that stops all the muck and water ending up on my back. Any suggestions guys ?????

videoman

Guru
Just fitted a set of SKS commuter mudguards (£23.99) to my mountain bike and they work very well.

HovR

Über Member
The right pair of mudguards depend on the usage of the bike.

If it will be used in the snow and/or off road then I'd go for a set of MTB style guards like these, as snow/mud/other won't get caught up in them - Although they offer less protection from the frame being sprayed in mud/water. I have the rear guard that I linked and it has a rock solid mounting, but the actual guard is a bit flexible to prevent branches etc being caught in it. Over all a great design.

If the bike won't be subject to mud/snow which could get caught in tighter fitting guards, then some SKS commuter style would be better as they provide better over all protection from spray, to both you and your bike.

OP
OP
Moby Jones

Moby Jones

I will be using the bike in the worst of winter so I reckon I will see snow a couple of times, the SKS commuters mudguards look quite good but I am not sure how they would cope with snow

videoman

Guru
I think it all depends what type of front forks you have fitted, rigid or suspension as this will dictate your choice of mudguard. SKS etc for rigid forks and Topeak Defenders for suspension forks due to the difference in mounting them.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
My old heap of an mtb has big wide guards that seem to cope with most off-road apart from the really claggy stuff.

3267137310_5f5c960c7d.jpg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Photo0025.jpg

Depends on how much you want to spend , i got some cheap gaurds off ebay for £5, I will probably end up adding an extension to the front guard but for the price i am happy with them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260871336962?ru=http://www.ebay.co.uk:80/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4712.m570.l1313&_nkw=260871336962&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1&_rdc=1

Top Bottom