mudguards on the club run

are mudguards compulsory on your club's winter club runs?

• yes

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • no

Votes: 20 19.0%
  • encouraged, but not officially enforced

Votes: 56 53.3%
  • well the pros don't bother, why should we?

Votes: 5 4.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
mudguards used to be pretty much at the discretion (or conscience) of the rider on the social club run when i first joined the club. there were training rides that the club captain used to lead where mudguards were compulsory during the winter, but the club run had no such rules.

recently, said club captain and his coterie are riding the social club run and there seems to be a move to an unwritten rule about having mudguards (even staunch opponents thereof now seem to be turning up with a fully guarded bike). i know all about the social niceties of having a rear mudguard with a flap when riding in a group, but some bikes just don't have clearance for mudguards, even the raceblade kind, and the experience of riding is diminished by their presence.

whilst i have got mudguards on the winter bike (raceblades, had to butcher them to prevent them rubbing), is it really reasonable to expect to go out on a wet muddy ride and not get wet and muddy? modern washing machines and detergents will get the muck out of virtually any kit, and if you wear your best white assos kit on a wet winter ride, you deserve all you get.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Depends in you want a face-full of whatever poop/ pollution is mixed in with the muddy water when it fly off the back of the wheel in front .

crazyjoe101

It's not about not getting muddy and wet; it's about not having a constant stream of horrible surface water / dirt shot into your face, all over your cycling glasses and into your mouth. I won't ride behind anyone who does not have mudguards and if the group is small I sometimes politely suggest they go on the back if it is really bad because it's usually just one or two in a group of maybe eight spraying everyone.
At the same time, I do empathise for those with no clearance - I use to use Raceblade Longs with some Crud RRII parts and although they got the job done they were very high maintenence. I sold my set to a clumate who rides a Bianchi (hardly mudguard friendly)and he seems to think they are amazing.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i can understand my ribble r872 (essentially a race-ready frame) not having clearance, but the carrera virtuoso, at £250 when bought new, i would have thought would have had enough…

oh well, let's look forward to when the mudguards can come off…

Venod

Eh up
Our club captain (rightly IMO) constantly voices the need for full mudguards on club runs, if you turn up without them you are expected to ride at the back of the group, its OK if your by yourself, but its a bit unconsiderate in a group where most people have guards to keep themselves and other people clean.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Racebladelong 2's will fit where Cruds won't and give sufficient coverage for even the strictest club rules. They are far easier to adjust than clip on standard Raceblades.

Our club captain (rightly IMO) constantly voices the need for full mudguards on club runs, if you turn up without them you are expected to ride at the back of the group, its OK if your by yourself, but its a bit unconsiderate in a group where most people have guards to keep themselves and other people clean.
Same in my road club.

Tin Pot

Guru
I'd go further - its inconsiderate to not have them anywhere there are a lot of cyclists.

My last bike hire in the city taught me that.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
i know all about the social niceties of having a rear mudguard with a flap when riding in a group, but some bikes just don't have clearance for mudguards, even the raceblade kind, and the experience of riding is diminished by their presence.
I'm surprised you describe the rides as social if mudguards weren't encouraged. Spraying others with road crap sounds positively antisocial!

Riding a bike without mudguards is cheating, riding only part of a bike. Next you'll be saying it has no luggage rack or chain guard!

Top Bottom