Mudguards/Rack Interface

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I didn't know which forum to put this in so went for the one where I figured people had more likely hit the same issues.
I have decided to ride my old MTB this winter as my usual winter bike remains broken. The MTB is a 1990 Saracen Kili Flier Comp. Unlike most race orientated mountain bikes from back then, it was fitted with rack mounts on the inside (nice touch) of the seat stays and a single set of threaded eyes on the rear dropouts.
These hold the back rack as the bike became my tourer many years ago. I just got by without mudguards but want to fit some now.

Do I put both rack and mudguard stays to the same hole on the dropout? I have noticed the presence of a threaded hole on the rack itself. Would this be for mudguards or some sort of pannier retention system I'm not familiar with?

I suppose I could remove the rack but I would rather not.

TIA

midlife

Guru
BITD the rack went next to the frame with the mudguard stays on the outside....same bolt.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Stays and rack on the same bolt, stays outside, is fairly normal. You'll want a reasonably stout washer, and it's best that the stays are a single length of wire with a loop formed in the middle, rather than being completely separate with an eye each.

However, if there are suitable bolt fittings on the rack, it would be better to use those, provided that...
a) the bolt head won't touch the back of the pannier (it will make a hole, eventually).
b) you won't want to use mudguards with no rack at some later stage (stays for rack fittings would normally be shorter than those for rack/frame fittings).

OP
OP
Hugh Manatee

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
It is looking increasingly unlikely that it will work. The stays of each item want to share exactly the same space. Unless I drill out the mudguard stay mount points and rivet them in a different place. Of the two items the rack is more important so I will have to live with the mud!

Top Bottom