Mudguards...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
My former colleague and mate had to replace his front mech after a winter's commuting as he had short 'guards on his Trek hybrid and they allowed manky road spray to decorate said maech and seise the bugger solid.
Unless you've got shares in WD40, either get a winter commuting hack you don't care about or get some full-length 'guards fitted.
My Tif has SKS Chromplastics fitted and it looks fine, but is it supposed to be/was sold as an Audax bike :-)

Or a singlespeed:whistle:

Davidc

Guru
A while back I had an identical (near enough) bike to a friend who lived in the same village. We both commuted the 16 miles return into Ipswich 2 or 3 days each week. I had mudguards, he didn't. His bike was secondhand, mine was nearly 15 years old. Both in similar condition when he bought his, but mine showed the effects of higher mileage.

2 winters later the unmudguarded bike needed a new drivetrain, mine didn't.

Didn't stop my frame cracking a year later as a result of years of exposure to Brighton seawater though.

It helps that I think bikes look better with mudguards on, so I always have them fitted.

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Do you find that the rear mudguard wobbles about a lot? Mine seems to be loose at the bottom even though I have securely installed it. do you think I should strengthen it with some cardboard or something?
I wouldn't try strengthening it personally – yes, it wobbles a bit, but it always centres itself. Of course, you don't have to fit the long tail, and could fit the shorter one (obviously won't do as good a job of protecting someone following you though!)

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Just don't do what I did and tip it on to it's back wheel to enter the garage!!! :cursing: But they looked great until then.
Good advice :thumbsup: I watched the Crud movies prior to fitting – thought it was amusing right at the end of the clip when the chap said not to tip the bike back when putting it in the shed, then they popped up a "Don't wheelie" graphic which was promptly followed by someone doing a wheelie on a bike with the Roadracers fitted ^_^

I use RaceBlades. Easy to fit and pretty effective. They won't protect as well as a full-length guard, but they're reliable and worthwhile.

I tried the Cruds, but the noise bothered me, and they are so thin that the slightest bump makes them warp enough to rub.

ushills

Veteran
SKS commuters on mine, seem to find they blend in with the black tyre fairly well and I would never remove them now.

Stop the bike getting plastered in crap everytime you go out.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I have used Raceblade longs on mine,pretty good but the metal hanger that clips on to the brake broke twice in 4 month of heavy use.

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
Full mudguards all year round for me on the 2 commuting bikes but not on the road bikes I have. Horses for courses really. Basically, my road bikes don't come out in winter.

boydj

Legendary Member
Fit proper mudguards if your bike has the mudguard eyes. Once they are properly fitted, they are no more difficult to take off and re-fit than the clip-ons. I've used clip-ons and they don't protect you or the bike nearly as well as proper mudguards and they never fit as well, especially after they have been off an on a couple of times.With tight clearances it's not that easy to get them set up properly, especially if you are in a hurry.

My club has 'mudguards' rule for club runs from October to March as it's more sociable when riding in a group. The squeaks and rattles from the clip-on mudguards almost drown out the conversation on winter club runs.

Top Bottom