Mudguards...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carolonabike

Another voter for SKS Chromoplastics, I have them in black. They are a bit fiddly to fit but once on are quite unobtrusive and very effective. I tried the Crud Roadracers but found them alomost impossible to fit properly without them rubbing and squeaking and got fed up and took them off.

paulw1969

Ridley rider
DSCF0588.jpg
DSCF0590.JPG
DSCF0591.JPG
DSCF0589.jpg
DSCF0592.jpg
Just took a few photos of my new Blumels. I had the chroplastic before....was happy with these but damaged the front and it carried on splitting near the stay so new ones were in order....the fixings are the same and hold the guards nice and firmly without rattle....and most importantly keep you and the bike dry from wet roads.....dont like the idea of clip ons as if you were commuting what are you going to do carry them around in case it rains? Mine stay on all the time. i'll apologise for the crap photos....just took them in a hurry. edited for spelling but also to say these are the 35mm width over 23mm tires
DSCF0588.jpg

D

Deleted member 1258

I have some of those in my shed from my last bike but is it not a faff getting the back wheel off with fixed? I'm thinking about my own options.

I have these Secu Clips both on the front and back of the fixed

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sks-secu-clips-for-front-mudguard-stays-per-pair-prod666/

means I can just pull the stays out and refit them when I've finished. Also its not difficult to set the mudguards up with enough clearance to allow the wheel to just be pulled out without disturbing the mudguard.

RedRider

Pulling through

sittingbull

Veteran
Anyone tried ACF-50 either instead of mudguards or in addition to?

It's basically a spray-on anti-corrosive base layer (for the bike ;)) , just avoid the rims and blocks!

acf50.jpg

Davidc

Guru
I've never found mudguards interfere with getting wheels or tyres off at all*. Properly fitted mudguards (shown above by paulw1969) make virtually no noise and I've never had any problem with mudguards working loose or any other problem. I do put a drop of loctite on the fixings though. The only issue is that to do a really total cleaning job they need to come off, so that's once a year.

My bikes have them on all the time, though I admit the modified mtb I use around town doesn't have proper ones, only skimpy things attached to the down tube and seat post - which don't work nearly as well.

As I said above I've always thought bikes look much better with mudguards than without them.

*including single speed

Dags11

Tried sks and raceblades but they do not compare to Cruds (Mk2) - on 23's

Only drawback is the meticulous fitting and noise if wheel is not true

Upside; fantastic aftersales, light & cover ar*e, following riders & feet

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Just took a few photos of my new Blumels. I had the chroplastic before....was happy with these but damaged the front and it carried on splitting near the stay so new ones were in order....the fixings are the same and hold the guards nice and firmly without rattle....and most importantly keep you and the bike dry from wet roads.....dont like the idea of clip ons as if you were commuting what are you going to do carry them around in case it rains? Mine stay on all the time. i'll apologise for the crap photos....just took them in a hurry. edited for spelling but also to say these are the 35mm width over 23mm tires

Hi, I cannot tell from those pictures but does your bike frame have mudguard mounts?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

okeydokey79

I just fitted Crud Roadracers MkII to my new road bike – not as much of a faff to fit as I thought they might be. They don't rub, offer good coverage, and aesthetically I think they look OK too... others may of course disagree, but I'd rather have a dry bum :whistle:

View attachment 12790

View attachment 12791
ive also got the road racer mk2 fitted to my bike and agree they do keep alot of the muck of the bike and make it easier clean after a wet ride(seem to have alot at the moment):laugh:

Top Bottom