Mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Can anyone recommend a set of mudguards for my Tricross? I'm running 700 32c tyres and I want something that can be put on and taken off quickly and easily as I don't want to use them when I'm going on muddy off-road routes.

paulb55

Über Member
Hi
I fiited these last weekend to my Trek Hybrid with 700 x 28 tyres but you can get them for smaller tyres
Brilliant and fitted them in half an hour and done a 70 mile bike ride in them and no problems
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bontrager/nebula-mudguard-ec036140

vorsprung

Veteran
er, I don't quite follow why if you are going on the mud you want to take the mudguards off :smile:

Seriously, I do appreciate that mud can block the mudguard channel up.

Davidc

Guru
While on the subject -

I can't work out what the difference is between SKS Bluemels mudguards and SKS Chromoplastic mudguards, apart from a few quid in price.

Anyone know?

(Had a little accident with a hot soldering iron so I'm going to have to replace mine)

notlots

Bluemels = PET plastic, chromoplastic = aluminium/plastic mix- but can't see anywhere that says which is better and why

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I,ve got some on one of my bikes with the name "FLINGER" on them, not sure who made them but they slide on and off the mounting bracket on the brake bridge in the direction of wheel rotation at the front and clip to the seat tube and a bracket on the rear sound about perfect for you,

bobones

Veteran
Bluemels = PET plastic, chromoplastic = aluminium/plastic mix- but can't see anywhere that says which is better and why

Nah, Blumels have an aluminium layer too, but in my experience they are weak and prone to cracking. They have a round cross section as opposed to the Chromo's box shape, no stripe pattern or rear reflector, and the stays are thinner. I have also read that the Chromos have stainless steel fittings, but I can't be sure that the Blumels don't.

Once I went through 2 pairs of Bluemels, both cracking in the middle of the rear guard as well as cracks appearing near the brake mount, I got them replaced with SKS Longboards which seem to be much more durable as well as providing far better coverage than either the Blumels or the Chromos.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Nah, Blumels have an aluminium layer too, but in my experience they are weak and prone to cracking. They have a round cross section as opposed to the Chromo's box shape, no stripe pattern or rear reflector, and the stays are thinner. I have also read that the Chromos have stainless steel fittings, but I can't be sure that the Blumels don't.

Once I went through 2 pairs of Bluemels, both cracking in the middle of the rear guard as well as cracks appearing near the brake mount, I got them replaced with SKS Longboards which seem to be much more durable as well as providing far better coverage than either the Blumels or the Chromos.
I think you will find that SKS are the same brand . The last set I fitted had both names on the cardboard package

bobones

Veteran
I think you will find that SKS are the same brand . The last set I fitted had both names on the cardboard package
That was never in dispute. I was pointing out that I thought Blumels were of poorer construction than Chromoplastics or Longboards.

Top Bottom