Multi-purpose cycle/running jacket?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
I should be doing some fell runs this year and I need a taped seemed jacket. I also need a water proof cycle jacket. Is it possible I could kill two birds with one stone here? Something light and close fitting you can run and cycle in?

Domus

Guru
Paramo, but may be too warm for running up hill. I have a Paramo waterproof but I get too warm walking up hill, all be it with a rucksac on my back.

Tin Pot

Guru
I should be doing some fell runs this year and I need a taped seemed jacket. I also need a water proof cycle jacket. Is it possible I could kill two birds with one stone here? Something light and close fitting you can run and cycle in?

I don't think so - I've been multi sport for four years, can't see a bike and run jacket in my wardrobe.

I've used my wind/waterproof gillet to run last winter.

Venod

Eh up

The only down side for me would be, for fell running the jacket has to have a hood I don't like hooded jackets on the bike, but if your not bothered I don't see why the right jacket should not serve both sports.although a good cycling jacket will be longer at the rear, this is a good site for ideas.

https://www.extremeadventureraces.c...+Jacket&by_fulldescr=Y&by_shortdescr=Y&page=2

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Regardless what you buy, you will not stay dry. You can stay warm and damp, but even with Marino base layers you will not stay dry.

Either the rain will come in from the outside or you sweat and get wet from the inside.

I have a Gore cycle jacket and it is great but I am still damp, but warm.

If there is anyone on here can show me otherwise, I would be interested to know.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
I imagine a lot of cycling jackets would be good for running in. They're all breathable which I find works just as well for running and walking. I have a waterproof Aldi cycling jacket that I often wear when I'm not cycling because it's so great.

Ajax Bay

Guru
As @Welsh wheels has implied, if you are prepared to do without a hood, then get a cycling jacket that's not a 'race' fit, and it will double up. I have a decent (rrp=?90) Altura cycling jacket that is light, has taped seams, reasonably waterproof (but I take exactly what @steveindenmark says), and I would be entirely content to carry it / use it on the fells, except that is has no hood (few 'cycling' jackets have, for obvious reasons).
So I've clipped the relevant text from the FRA 'Rules for Runners':

"‘FRA Mandatory Minimum Kit’ is the mandatory minimum kit for all AL, AM and BL races, and Race Organisers may require it to be carried at other categories of event. They can also require you to carry more kit than this. In any case, you may decide it is prudent to carry more kit than the mandatory minimum. ‘FRA Mandatory Minimum Kit’ comprises: waterproof whole body cover (with taped seams and integrated attached hood), hat, gloves, map of the route, compass, whistle and emergency food."

So if you're going to do some fell races, you really need a jacket which will meet the specification above (even if you're not going to do 'A' races). You'll arrive at the venue, and the forecast may have deteriorated, so the organiser will specify the kit above. A non-hooded cycling waterproof will not do.

Tin Pot

Guru
I imagine a lot of cycling jackets would be good for running in. They're all breathable which I find works just as well for running and walking. I have a waterproof Aldi cycling jacket that I often wear when I'm not cycling because it's so great.

Not really, the heat generated from running far exceeds cycling and doesn't get the natural wind cooling that cycle gives. I cook running in cycling winter wear.

That said, layering as always, is your friend here.

A small OMM pack can be useful to store kit you're disrobing while running as you get hotter or conditions change.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
There’s some cycling jackets which stash the hood inside the Collar though. I’ll keep looking.

Top Bottom