Multi tool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
What model you want will be dictated by what tools you want on it. Loads of combinations of tools.
If you want the best quality multitool, then get a Leatherman.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Screenshot_20200109-173957.png

OP
OP
D

Dirtyhanz2

Thanks for the recommendations I have a leatherman I am after more cycling specific read loads of reviews for different ones I would like some real world views on the different one I like the look of the brooks ones and the park pedros and the silca ones

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You need to examine your bike to see what types of fixings it has.

If I was buying new, I would get a tool which included the two popular sizes of torx keys.

But that's only because my bike has them.

Yours may not.

What's the difference between a touring multitool and say, a commuting multitool? Or perhaps, a going-to-church multitool?

All I can think of is a bottle opener, but then again, you should have one permanently attached to your bike in anyway.

Chain tool is essential for touring so make sure it works with enough precision for your chain width/speed.
I prefer seperate quality allen keys and screwdrivers from the leatherman.

My Cooltool is useful for the wheel nut bike. I have a Topeak 21? But the moulded hex shapes lack precision.

Jody

Stubborn git
I use a crank bros m19. It's a good size/shape so easy to pack, has plenty of tools on it from spoke keys to a chain tool and it's a sturdy thing to use. I've used the chain tool a couple of times and it works a treat although maybe a little difficult to initially get the pin moving.

The thing I like about this type is there aren't any small pieces that can go missing.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Topeak Hexus II has served me well when the need arises.

I have to say though that any toolkit is just a back-up and nothing replaces proper preparation and timely maintenance. A bicycle is a very reliable instrument and on-the-road repairs should be very rare on a properly cared for machine.

The other consideration is the mend and make do approach of cycling and the attitude that the show must go on, even with mechanical compromises. This means that often, even without the correct tool, some kind of compromised repair can be effected to allow you to limp home where a permanent fix can be executed.

Top Bottom