Multiple Brake Levers - Is it Possible?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
Wouldn't have thought it would be an issue. I commuted on my touring bike with butterfly bars for a several months. I spent about 90% of the time on the sides, but never had any problem breaking or switching gear in traffic (and only started cycling since childhood again last year). I thought a flatbars might be more suitalbe for a short commute, so my next bike has flatbars + barends, but spend 80-90% of the time on the barends away from the brakes again anyhow.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Bodhbh said:
Wouldn't have thought it would be an issue. I commuted on my touring bike with butterfly bars for a several months. I spent about 90% of the time on the sides, but never had any problem breaking or switching gear in traffic (and only started cycling since childhood again last year). I thought a flatbars might be more suitalbe for a short commute, so my next bike has flatbars + barends, but spend 80-90% of the time on the barends away from the brakes again anyhow.

My initial thought was bar ends but my commute is 20 miles each way and just wanted those extra options. Plus, sad as some may find it, I like the way the butterfly bars look:biggrin:

Jonathan M

skwerl said:
are they bollox

option 1. two levers connected to a central pivot ie suicide brakes

option 3 two separate levers pulling the same cable. ie 'cross levers

I'll dispute your opinion of bollox becuase Jimboalee talks about going to a bike shop that stocks cyclocross kit, and ask there, AFAIK the cyclocross "top" levers are what he refers to, with the split two piece cable outer meaning two levers working on the same inner cable. His reference to safety levers is probably the old "suicide levers".

Are the old "suicide" levers even available anymore?? I've not seen anything like them on a bike for, maybe, decades? Certainly not since the 1980's, at a push ealry 1990's?

Top Bottom