Multiple Brake Levers - Is it Possible?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I'm trying to find out if it is possible to fit multiple brake levers around a trekking bar? So far all I've managed to do is confuse myself, the bar in question has a 25.4 clamp diameter but the tubing is 20mm(by my quick look with a tape measure:biggrin:) I'd like to be able to give myself 2, or more, braking positions on each side, or set up the brakes in different positions left and right. So far:-

1. find a brake fitting that has 2 levers around a central pivot. The angle between the levers would need to be adjustable, ie not set at 90 degrees. Fit the brake pivot point at the bottom outer corner of the trekking/butterfly bar. This would have one lever running sideways along the 'flat' bar position and one running vertically under the side bar. - is any of these possible, do such things exist, all I've found are some obscure patent references in the US?

2. brake lever extensions fitted to the upper corner of the bars, lever running down underneath the side bar. Main levers fitted in the usual manner to the flat bar spot - is this feasible, where would you run the cabling etc?

3. Twin cable pull levers - would it be feasible to fit 2 of these, one on the flats and one on the sides so that you have dual(front and back?) braking from both levers? What sort of splitter mechanism would you need and are they reliable?

Hope some of you bods can help, mechanically there should be a solution but.............:smile:

02GF74

Über Member
Sorry but am I the only one on here that hasn't got a clue wot you are on about?

I am a bit confused. There are millions and millions of cyclists that cope quite adequately with brkaes utilising a single lever - what makes you special to require more than one?

Is one not enough?

jimboalee

1/ Go to you LBS who stock cyclocross kit and ask about 'tops' brake levers and split 'double-up' cables.

2/ Try to find a pair of 'Safety handles'.

skwerl

Options 1 and 2 sound a bit like the old suicide brakes fitting to 'racers' in the 70s/80s. best avoided. they're called that for a reason

I think what you're looking for in option 3 are Tektro RX2.0 (ie 'cross) levers.

To be fair, 02GF74, these are fairly common on 'cross bikes and tourers. There's nothing odd about MacBludgeon's question.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

02GF74 said:
Sorry but am I the only one on here that hasn't got a clue wot you are on about?

I am a bit confused. There are millions and millions of cyclists that cope quite adequately with brkaes utilising a single lever - what makes you special to require more than one?

Is one not enough?

Yep, I can cope with one but if more are an option then I'd like to avail myself of said option. I have no concerns re keeping a bike super lightweight, I'm trying to lose 63lbs in weight, some extra little bits of metal are a drop in the ocean next to that:biggrin:

The fact that secondary levers do exist must mean that I'm not totally alone in my desires. We have 3 interfaces with the bike, hands, feet and bum, I'm just exploring the customisation options of those interfaces. I try not to consider myself 'special' but always appreciate being reminded of my ordinariness:evil:

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Have I found a possible solution or will this little widget not work with V brakes?

http://jtekengineering.com/AeroBrake.htm

theory seems sound, you are effectively running your standard brake as normal and then having a second lever and cable attached to this by the splitter. Pulling on either lever should produce the same results, would mean a second cable running length of bike to rear brake. Have e-mailed them to see if will work with V brakes, will let you know.

Jonathan M

skwerl said:
Options 1 and 2 sound a bit like the old suicide brakes fitting to 'racers' in the 70s/80s. best avoided. they're called that for a reason

I think what you're looking for in option 3 are Tektro RX2.0 (ie 'cross) levers.

To be fair, 02GF74, these are fairly common on 'cross bikes and tourers. There's nothing odd about MacBludgeon's question.

Option 3 and option 1 are the same, cyclocross "top" levers.Not like the old suicide levers at all, in fact they seem to work perhaps a bit too efficiently, making it all too easy to lock the wheels.

CRC have some Kore top brake levers in for about £20, that fit 26mm bars. Got some on my sons road bike.

02GF74

Über Member
well I never knew such things existed - totally pointless in M.O. It is like saying you want a steering wheel behind you when you reverse your car and look backwards....

I guess there are some things I can change on my bike to fit me but I accept other things and fit myself to them - never felt the need for multiple brakes, gears, pedals, saddles etc...

anyways good luck with finding your solution.

skwerl

Jonathan M said:
Option 3 and option 1 are the same,

are they bollox

option 1. two levers connected to a central pivot ie suicide brakes

option 3 two separate levers pulling the same cable. ie 'cross levers

skwerl

having re-read OP, option 2 is a 'cross lever setup. Option 3 is a full-on twin-pull setup. if you have the room on the bars the cross lever is the way to go

skwerl

02GF74 said:
well I never knew such things existed - totally pointless in M.O. It is like saying you want a steering wheel behind you when you reverse your car and look backwards....

I guess there are some things I can change on my bike to fit me but I accept other things and fit myself to them - never felt the need for multiple brakes, gears, pedals, saddles etc...

anyways good luck with finding your solution.

or like having controls for the stereo or gear-shifters on the steering wheel...oh wait, they're quite useful.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Got my reply from Jtek as below:-

I would know of no reason for the doublecontrol not to work for how you want to use it. The only thing I would caution, is the V-brakes pull a lot more cable than road brake calipers. The doublecontrol model S only pulls about 1/2 inch of cable. If your calipers are not adjusted tight, you will run out of cable to pull with the lever. The doublecontrol model L pulls about 1" of cable. This one would have plenty of travel for V-brakes. However it takes up a lot more mounting space due to the longer housing of the unit.

So you need to take these things into concideration in your decision.

Best Regards,

Jay Guthrie
Jtek Engineering

This is the same style widget but developed for allowing secondary gear changing from aero bars via bar end shifters. By the look of it this just allows you to hook up somewhere on the existing line. So you wouldn't need secondary full cable runs.

02GF74

Über Member
well as you can probably gather, I am still against this. ^^^^ sounds great and confidence insipriing - basically you are fitting something that is very important to your safety i.e. brakes - that may or may not work properly.

it is cheaper and safer just to keep your hands near the levers should you need to apply them; I've been doing this for years along with billions of others around the world and yet to find a fault with that method.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

fair enough, I may never do it, just finalised my new butterfly bars tonight. Took me ages to get the long tubular grips on, now have sore hands:biggrin: Will post some pics up later but I'll be trying as is and then decide if I need a secondary braking position. Aesthetically I'd rather not cover the bars in levers and cables but if it helps in my comfort, and makes me feel safer, then I'll do it:biggrin:

I'm certainly not dismissing advice and knowledge on here but I do like to explore all options.

Top Bottom