Mum's Raleigh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have my Mum's old Raleigh to restore. It is at least 54 years old and was in regular use for shopping and the school run when I was young.

The brakes puzzle me. The cables have a fixed metal lump on the end. Can't see how to change them without cutting it off but not sure how to get replacements.

The seat tube moves fine but is very short.

The frame needs a good clean up but I wasn't thinking of refinishing it.

The wheels are quite rusty and I am thinking of buying new ones. It's a single speed with very low gearing which would probably still suit my Mum as she's not ridden in ages.

Any tips from the experts here are welcomed!

IMG_20170503_071526802.jpg
IMG_20170503_071601856.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
Get some oxalic acid. Sounds nasty, bits its quite mild and chemically targets rust. Nuts, bolts, chaimsets, brake calipers, wheel rims come up like new unless they've corroded to cardboard. Its cheap too, and doesn't harm paint. Google it.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Get some oxalic acid. Sounds nasty, bits its quite mild and chemically targets rust. Nuts, bolts, chaimsets, brake calipers, wheel rims come up like new unless they've corroded to cardboard. Its cheap too, and doesn't harm paint. Google it.

Am i right in thinking Sugar paste also contains Oxalic acid ?

got a project due soon that i will try this method on

Drago

Legendary Member

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
At the mention of oxalic acid, I had a vision of wrapping the frame with bruised rhubarb leaves!

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia

Thanks @Drago I'll give that a bash on the wheel rims and other kit - soon have the old girl shiny again.

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
And hopefully the bike too! ;)

I'll set them up, you knock them down ! :laugh:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

raleighnut

Legendary Member
He's known as Arthur raleighnut Negus in some circles.

I imagine you will want to remove the chainset to grease the BB and a 54 yr old cotterpin might be a bit stubborn. Here's a good way to get them out without special tools:

View: https://youtu.be/mybfNsm1XwM

Good luck.

If you look at him 'wiggling' the crankarm at the beginning you could tell the cotterpin had already been removed, bet his mate said " Oi, you could make a video of that"

A good technique though for people who don't have hammer skills (or a big enough hammer)

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Well spotted. As a lad I remember my mate had a round block of lead we used to use but we didn't realise that hammering with the tyres inflated absorbed the force.

Top Bottom