Mum's Raleigh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I might be able to do half a wheel at a time that way. However, I just found a pair on Gumtree for £10 so that should be that sorted !

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Dang nabbit, that oxalic acid tip saved me a lot of elbow grease !

IMG_20170524_220451424.jpg

IMG_20170524_193847694.jpg

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
The frame and mudguards are likely to let the rest of the bike down somewhat in its appearance now, what with better wheels and shiny chrome bits !

I am planning to respray the mudguards black, and clean the frame up as best I can before putting a topcoat of lacquer on it (I have a tin of topcoat for metallic car paint. Any tips for suitable black spray paint ?

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
IMG_20170527_153509178.jpg
I have put the bottom bracket together and got the new/old wheels to fit by swapping out the axles. A pal managed to get the old Sachs freewheel off the newer wheels but I'll need a new single speed freewheel. Headset bearings are renewed. I'll give the frame a bit of jenlolite here and there before a clear lacquering.

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Aargh..mucho stupido. The original wheel size is actually 26" and the replacement wheels, tyres etc I bought are 27"!

Best place to sell a set of 27" wheels with lovely new Schwalbe whitewall tyres, inner tubes and a new freewheel?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Aargh..mucho stupido. The original wheel size is actually 26" and the replacement wheels, tyres etc I bought are 27"!

Best place to sell a set of 27" wheels with lovely new Schwalbe whitewall tyres, inner tubes and a new freewheel?
You can often get 700c wheels to fit in a 26" wheel frame, this bike was converted but I got 700c rims laced onto the original SA 3spd hub and a front dyno-hub I'd had kicking around for a while. It also meant I could get rid of the horrid 'pressed/bent steel brakes and fit some nice Wienmann ones.

DSCN0038.JPG

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Thanks for that.. the 27" wheels don't fit the brakes and rub on the mudguards which Mum wants to retain. I wondered whether a replacement set of 26" wheels might fit but the frame has only 115mm axle space at the rear.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thanks for that.. the 27" wheels don't fit the brakes and rub on the mudguards which Mum wants to retain. I wondered whether a replacement set of 26" wheels might fit but the frame has only 115mm axle space at the rear.
700c are a little smaller so may fit, be aware that there are 6 different wheel sizes called 26" though.

I'm surprised at 115mm axle though, 120 was the standard dropout width for years.

Drago

Legendary Member
Rustoleum appliance black. Designed for fridges, cookers etc. Dries very hard.

Spraymax 2k clear lacquer isn't cheap, but its two-pack just like the professional stuff, so will be much shiner and tougher.

Top Bottom